Magatte Wade: Why it's too hard to start a business in Africa -- and how to change it
瑪格特韋德: 為何在非洲發展企業如此困難?如何改變這個狀況?
Magatte Wade creates jobs in Africa -- and calls attention to the obstacles to job creation on the continent. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
is something that happened to me,
是發生在我身上的事,
weeks ago, it happened.
就只是四週之前。
I would ever hear it said to my face
我從來不認為
they filled it with so much hope.
我的心中充滿了希望。
renewed my commitment
to share with you today.
that I am a haunted person.
像我這樣的人,
laying at the bottom of the ocean,
that's the best we can do?
成為魚類的食物?
who are trying to migrate to Europe --
這就是他們的目的,
移民到歐洲找工作。
to Europe to find a job.
when we're trying to cross through Libya
當我們試圖橫越利比亞
會發生什麼事嗎?
maybe sometimes 500 dollars.
of bodies that fall off an airplane.
有屍體從飛機上掉下來。
the landing gear of a plane
from the moment you were a little girl,
一而再再而三地重覆發生,
and they keep repeating themselves,
as my people are dying,
我的文化也正步入滅亡。
we have this culture inferiority,
任何東西都不夠好。
that comes from us is not good enough.
by creating, it's Michelangelos.
有創意的方式來批評,
come to me with problems
你要帶著問題來找我,
of a couple alternatives.
但我要知道你有想出東西來。」
that you thought of something."
something is wrong, find a way to fix it.
the businesses that I start,
the very best of my African culture.
21st century, world-class tendered,
21 世紀,世界級呈現,
sophisticated markets in the world,
最複雜的市場之一,
third one is launching next month,
第三間下個月就會上路,
他們所在的地方沒有工作。
where they are, there's no jobs.
is the root cause of why they're leaving.
because they have no money.
because you have no source of income.
收入的來源是什麼?
what is a source of income?
收入的來源是什麼?告訴我。
source of income, what is it, tell me?
and medium size enterprises, SMEs --
for a small-business person
at the Doing Business index ranking
it is to start a company,
it is literally impossible
在我們的這些國家裡
in these countries of ours.
what it means on the ground
facility in Senegal.
製造廠。你們可知道,
that I can't find in the country,
on everything that comes in?
even to look for fine cardboard
即使要找好的硬紙板,
運送到美國,
are not going to come here
價值三千美元的硬紙板,
3000 dollars' worth of cardboard
so that I can have cardboard,
且要等上至少五個星期才會到。
for another five weeks.
with the most nonsensical laws out there.
said to me words that marked me,
說了一些讓我難忘的話,
to my employees in Senegal.
員工解釋了同樣的道理。
her name is Yahara.
她叫做雅哈拉。
「你為什麼要哭泣?」
是因為我漸漸相信——
because I had come to believe --
represented as poor people --
yes, maybe we are inferior.
也許我們真的比較劣等。
in the begging situation?"
情境中,為什麼?」
我把剛才對你們說的解釋給她聽,
just what I explained to you,
that I am not the problem.
that's my problem."
they now change their outlook on life.
他們就會改變對人生的觀點。
of our solutions, then?
that we should be simplifying
這些國家的企業環境嗎?
of all of these countries?
from the other 50 countries
在這吊車尾的五十個國家中,
to do the same thing.
what are you doing?
everybody here in this room,
就是教育你自己,
is educate yourself,
for e-government solutions.
電子政府解決方案。
how do we fight corruption?"
我們要如何打擊貪腐?」
I'm here to tell you
by the stroke of a pen.
何時做、如何做。
when and how to do that.
for anyone to do, so do it.
that you want to fix corruption.
你想要打擊貪腐。
from the other 50 countries
因為貪腐會發生。
to get my stuff in the country,
花錢去賄賂嗎?
that I would have to go a pay a bribe?
you don't need to wait for anyone.
你不需要等任何人。
that maybe you have no sovereignty,
I have simple words for our "leaders."
要給我們的「領導人」。
of millions of young people
and everything is good,
有生產力的方式發生,
you get out of my way,
你不要擋到我的路,
我們就會創造出我們需要的工作,
we create all these jobs we need,
非常繁榮的國家,
this very prosperous country
it should have been for a long time.
且很早以前就該一直是了。
we move on with our lives.
我們繼續過我們的生活。
the calm, productive way.
有生產力的方式。
ever even try to think
if we don't go there.
會發生什麼事。
happiness, human flourishing --
快樂、人類昌盛——
它就會實現。
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Magatte Wade - Brand creatorMagatte Wade creates jobs in Africa -- and calls attention to the obstacles to job creation on the continent.
Why you should listen
Magatte Wade's first company, Adina World Beverages, brought Senegalese bissap to US consumers through Whole Foods Market, Wegmans and United Natural Foods, Inc. Her second company, Tiossan, brought Senegalese skin care recipes to US consumers through Nordstrom and boutique beauty retailers. Her third company, SkinIsSkin, manufactures lip balms based on Senegalese ingredients in Senegal and markets them in the US to reduce racial bias.
Based on her experiences creating consumer brands and building agricultural and manufacturing capacity in Senegal, Wade has spoken at dozens of universities including Oxford, Harvard, Yale, Columbia and MIT, among other, as well as at global conferences on innovation and economic development in France, Dubai, Guatemala, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia and many more. She writes for the Huffington Post, Barron's, and the UK Guardian. She is a Young Global Leader with the World Economic Forum at Davos and has appeared on the cover of Forbes Afrique. She was also named one of the "Twenty Young Power Women of Africa" by Forbes US.
Magatte Wade | Speaker | TED.com