Luvvie Ajayi: Get comfortable with being uncomfortable
拉薇艾賈伊: 把不坐視不管變成習慣
Luvvie Ajayi is an author, speaker and digital strategist who thrives at the intersection of comedy, technology and activism. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
who refuse to do better,
as a shady Nigerian --
名聲不好的奈及利亞人──
〔至高無上斜眼看人之藝術家〕
who is looking at other people,
better than we found it.
它變得比我們發現它時更好。
and by being the domino.
choiceless to do the same.
沒有選擇只能跟著倒下。
is inspired to be a domino.
能夠被鼓舞,也去成為骨牌。
looks like speaking up
就像是大聲說出來,
that are really difficult,
will follow suit.
I'm the person who says
but dared not to say.
說出來的人。
that we're fearless,
people in the world
to be when I grew up.
紅起來之前我就在演它了。
before it was a thing.
I had to take Chemistry 101
of my academic career.
第一個和最後一個 D。
is not going to work,
I started blogging.
another was beginning.
另一個夢想又開始了。
became my full-time job
2010 年我丟了行銷工作之後,
to say, "I'm a writer."
才能說出:「我是個作家。」
before I said, "I'm a writer,"
「我是個作家」,一共花了九年,
401k 退休福利計畫
to keep up my shoe habit?
the things that are our purpose.
我們人生的目的。
dictate what I do."
awesome things started happening,
I was like, "OK, 2015,
「好,2015 年,
of 'Do it anyway.'
『無論如何就去做』年。
I'm going to actively pursue it."
我就要主動去追求它。」
my first-ever solo vacation,
to the Dominican Republic.
the forests of Punta Cana.
穿越蓬塔卡納的森林。
I had on business casual.
我穿著商務便裝。
submerged in water.
and swam with dolphins underwater.
和海豚在水面下游泳。
that I did also that year
that I did that year
非常「反我」的事,
things in life. This is one of them."
一些蠢事,這是其中之一。」
as I see Earth, and I was like,
我真的無法呼吸了,我說:
完全沒故障的飛機。」
plane on purpose."
the best thing I could have done.
做的事情當中最棒的了。
when I have to speak truth.
out of that plane.
when I'm at the edge of the plane,
飛機邊緣上的那一刻,
because I realize I have to.
因為我知道我得要做。
is comfort to me.
that I'm speaking truth
who are bigger than me
more powerful than me,
they've been is comfortable.
很舒適。
is maintain the status quo.
with being uncomfortable
來得到舒適,
when they're necessary.
說出這些難說出口的真相。
that I have to speak these truths,
我了解到我得要說出這些真相,
should be an option.
正義應該是個選項。
as a core value, and --
(註:有保濕功能),
if we were more moisturized.
世界就會變得更好。
as my core values,
the professional troublemakers,
committed to being these dominoes
去擔任這些骨牌的人、
of these acute consequences,
when we walk in rooms
很多時候,當我們走進房間,
powerful people in those rooms --
third-most powerful.
that our job in those times
the woman in the meeting,
who can't seem to get her word out,
who can't make a point
說出重點的另一個人
they have room for that.
他們有那樣的空間。
is community business.
we're understand that,
我們就會了解,
we were somebody else's help.
tumbles and falls,
但失敗。
to speak at a conference,
到會議上演說,
who spoke there got compensated
got their travel paid for.
一樣不用自己付旅費。
expected to actually pay to speak there.
則被認為應該要自費前往。
about this publicly,
that my silence serves no one.
是無法幫助別人的。
coming out to talk about,
this type of pay inequality."
付費不平等的問題。」
about discriminatory pay practices
memoir by a public figure
寫了篇關於它的文章,
than me and could impact my career,
這事可能會衝擊我的職涯,
maybe for two hours."
也許坐個兩小時。」
"Publish," and I ran away.
然後趕快逃走。
I'm so glad somebody finally said this."
我好高興終於有人這麼做了。」
I guess, alright, it's doing something."
好,它應該有影響。」
have been the domino
they've been assaulted by powerful men.
被強大的人給攻擊。
join in and say, "Me Too."
說出「我也是」。
for igniting that movement.
點燃那運動的大喊。
to keep us exactly where we are.
把我們維持在我們現在的位置。
comes down to being exactly who you are.
成為你真正的自己。
since I was three.
even that's been the domino,
that wants us to walk around
you're supposed to do this."
「是的,你該做這件事。」
telling thoughtful truths --
──說出考慮周到的真相──
should not be sacrificial, but they are.
不該是種犧牲,但偏偏就是。
選擇為了大我而這麼做,
to do this for the greater good,
than we are right now.
to telling truths to build bridges
說出真相來建立橋樑,
on truth will collapse.
所搭起的橋樑一定會垮。
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Luvvie Ajayi - CreatorLuvvie Ajayi is an author, speaker and digital strategist who thrives at the intersection of comedy, technology and activism.
Why you should listen
A 14-year blogging veteran, Luvvie Ajayi is the voice behind the blog AwesomelyLuvvie.com, where she covers all things pop culture with razor-sharp commentary and wit. Her debut book, I'm Judging You: The Do Better Manual, was released in September 2016, and was an instant New York Times best-seller.
Ajayi is Executive Director and co-founder of The Red Pump Project, a national nonprofit that educates women and girls of color about HIV/AIDS. They’ve earned a Congressional Record from the U.S. House of Representatives and Resolutions by the Illinois State Senate as well as the City Council of Chicago. The University of Illinois alum is a sought-after speaker who has spoken at the Obama White House, MAKERS Conference, SXSW, Social Media Week, among others. She has interviewed bosses like Oprah Winfrey, Geena Davis and Shonda Rhimes. She also runs AwesomelyTechie.com, a site for writers, small business owners and everyday people looking to use technology to make their lives easier as an extension of her marketing expertise.
Ajayi was selected to Oprah Winfrey’s inaugural Supersoul 100 list, voted as the Influencer of the Year at the 2016 Iris Awards and was chosen as a 2015 Black Innovator by XFINITY Comcast. She is committed to using her voice for pop culture critique and gender and racial justice.
Luvvie Ajayi | Speaker | TED.com