Luvvie Ajayi: Get comfortable with being uncomfortable
卢维耶 · 阿杰伊: 走出你的舒适区
Luvvie Ajayi is an author, speaker and digital strategist who thrives at the intersection of comedy, technology and activism. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
who refuse to do better,
以及一名“臭名昭著”的尼日利亚人——
as a shady Nigerian --
就和图中这只猫差不多。
(图片:自认清高的艺术家)
who is looking at other people,
让这个世界变得更好。
better than we found it.
and by being the domino.
就会跟着倒下。
choiceless to do the same.
也成为一张骨牌。
is inspired to be a domino.
looks like speaking up
that are really difficult,
有人挺身而出的时候,
will follow suit.
我就是那种会说出
I'm the person who says
but dared not to say.
我们这种人是无所畏惧的,
that we're fearless,
people in the world
to be when I grew up.
我就在扮演医师。
before it was a thing.
必须上化学基础这门课,
I had to take Chemistry 101
of my academic career.
is not going to work,
I started blogging.
另外一个梦想开始了。
another was beginning.
市场营销工作的时候,
became my full-time job
就成为了我全职的工作。
“我是个作家。”
to say, "I'm a writer."
“我是个作家。“
before I said, "I'm a writer,"
继续保持买鞋的习惯,
to keep up my shoe habit?
我们真正的目的。
the things that are our purpose.
dictate what I do."
awesome things started happening,
我开始想,“好,2015年
I was like, "OK, 2015,
of 'Do it anyway.'
任何令我恐惧的事情。”
I'm going to actively pursue it."
my first-ever solo vacation,
to the Dominican Republic.
我做了什么?
穿越蓬塔·卡纳森林。
the forests of Punta Cana.
我穿了商务装。
I had on business casual.
submerged in water.
我喜欢脚踏实地。
and swam with dolphins underwater.
在水下和海豚游泳。
that I did also that year
最非常“反我”的事情,
that I did that year
“这绝对是我这辈子做过的蠢事之一。”
things in life. This is one of them."
我简直无法呼吸,
as I see Earth, and I was like,
完好无损的飞机上跳下来了!”
plane on purpose."
‘“这是我做过的最好的事情,
the best thing I could have done.
when I have to speak truth.
说出实话的那些时刻。
out of that plane.
when I'm at the edge of the plane,
因为我意识到自己必须去做。
because I realize I have to.
is comfort to me.
that I'm speaking truth
who are bigger than me
more powerful than me,
舒适感其实被高估了。
they've been is comfortable.
只有维护现状而已。
is maintain the status quo.
在必要的时候说出严峻的现实
with being uncomfortable
when they're necessary.
that I have to speak these truths,
我不认为正义是一个选项。
should be an option.
乳木果油也十分重要——
as a core value, and --
if we were more moisturized.
世界就会变得更好。
as my core values,
我必须讲出事实。
专业的麻烦制造者,
the professional troublemakers,
committed to being these dominoes
总是从飞机上跳下来,
of these acute consequences,
当我们走进房间时,
when we walk in rooms
powerful people in those rooms --
第三强大的人。
third-most powerful.
that our job in those times
the woman in the meeting,
who can't seem to get her word out,
who can't make a point
they have room for that.
确保她们的这一权益。
is community business.
我们就会了解到,
we're understand that,
we were somebody else's help.
tumbles and falls,
我受邀去会议上发表演讲,
to speak at a conference,
白人男性都拿到了酬劳,
who spoke there got compensated
至少也拿到了差旅费。
got their travel paid for.
expected to actually pay to speak there.
about this publicly,
我的沉默不会帮助任何人。
that my silence serves no one.
我还是公开地谈论了这件事情。
coming out to talk about,
this type of pay inequality."
about discriminatory pay practices
并写了一些读后感时,
memoir by a public figure
他可能会影响我的事业,
than me and could impact my career,
想了大概两个小时,
maybe for two hours."
我按了“发布”键,然后溜了。
"Publish," and I ran away.
收到了极高的关注,
终于有个人说这个了。“
I'm so glad somebody finally said this."
I guess, alright, it's doing something."
正在产生影响。”
have been the domino
抨击的时候,他们也成为了骨牌。
they've been assaulted by powerful men.
并说出,“我也是。”
join in and say, "Me Too."
塔拉娜·伯克点燃了这场运动。
for igniting that movement.
我们的沉默去维持现状。
to keep us exactly where we are.
comes down to being exactly who you are.
名声不怎么样的人。
since I was three.
even that's been the domino,
that wants us to walk around
让我难以启齿的时候,
you're supposed to do this."
说出深思熟虑的实话——
telling thoughtful truths --
意味着牺牲,但事实却是如此。
should not be sacrificial, but they are.
to do this for the greater good,
than we are right now.
用真相搭建桥梁,
to telling truths to build bridges
on truth will collapse.
搭建起来的桥梁就会崩塌。
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Luvvie Ajayi - CreatorLuvvie Ajayi is an author, speaker and digital strategist who thrives at the intersection of comedy, technology and activism.
Why you should listen
A 14-year blogging veteran, Luvvie Ajayi is the voice behind the blog AwesomelyLuvvie.com, where she covers all things pop culture with razor-sharp commentary and wit. Her debut book, I'm Judging You: The Do Better Manual, was released in September 2016, and was an instant New York Times best-seller.
Ajayi is Executive Director and co-founder of The Red Pump Project, a national nonprofit that educates women and girls of color about HIV/AIDS. They’ve earned a Congressional Record from the U.S. House of Representatives and Resolutions by the Illinois State Senate as well as the City Council of Chicago. The University of Illinois alum is a sought-after speaker who has spoken at the Obama White House, MAKERS Conference, SXSW, Social Media Week, among others. She has interviewed bosses like Oprah Winfrey, Geena Davis and Shonda Rhimes. She also runs AwesomelyTechie.com, a site for writers, small business owners and everyday people looking to use technology to make their lives easier as an extension of her marketing expertise.
Ajayi was selected to Oprah Winfrey’s inaugural Supersoul 100 list, voted as the Influencer of the Year at the 2016 Iris Awards and was chosen as a 2015 Black Innovator by XFINITY Comcast. She is committed to using her voice for pop culture critique and gender and racial justice.
Luvvie Ajayi | Speaker | TED.com