Laolu Senbanjo: "The Sacred Art of the Ori"
劳鲁·圣班杰: 奥日神圣艺术
Laolu Senbanjo's motto is: “Everything is my canvas.” Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
surpass all that Europe ever had,]
to me when I was a child in Nigeria.
我的祖母曾对我唱过它。
of the Yoruba people,
of treasures that the West does not have.
I call my grandmother --
about Yoruba mythology.
from the southwestern part of Nigeria,
一个族群,
by these stories.
my art since I was a child.
约鲁巴的文化启发了我的艺术。
you buy at Harlem markets in New York.
你在纽约的哈伦市场买到的那些。
on her arms and her legs.
she was born with them,
and detailed symbols.
细致的象征图案。
from the Yoruba mythology.
to influence the artist that I am today.
这如何影响了成为艺术家的我。
I saw art everywhere.
in Ilorin, in Stadium Road.
体育馆路上的房子。
at the marble floors,
of patterns and designs in it,
图案和设计,
and I would be like,
说道:
see this pattern, see this mask."
看看这些纹路,看看这些图案。”
"Laolu, I don't see anything."
“劳鲁,我没看到任何东西。”
what I saw on the floor.
在地上描出我看到的东西。
she got really upset.
她会变得很生气。
with my teachers and my parents.
"Laolu, we are Christians.
“劳鲁,我们是基督徒。
or maybe you draw chairs or furniture,
不画椅子或家具,
the whole house if I had a chance,
我会在整栋房子画上画,
I knew being an artist was not an option,
并不是个选择
my parents wanted me to be,
He was so proud that day.
他那天很骄傲。
looked like in law school.
why I wasn't going to class.
at the Human Rights Commission
between getting an education
seeing all the injustice around me,
is controlled by where we are born.
我们在哪里出生来决定。
a man and a man holding hands,
牵着手,
same-sex relationship is criminalized.
同性关系是有罪的。
I like to start a conversation.
我喜欢开启一段对话。
plugged into Africa
being drained out.
the patterns, the masks, the stories,
故事,
to practice art full time.
开始全身心投入艺术创造。
He'll come back."
in New York was not easy,
一名艺术家的生活并不轻松,
no representation,
没展出,
to make a living.
to wear their stories.
是那么的骄傲自豪。
my hand on I painted,
on my Instagram feed,
standing in front my art,
go into her and come out of her literally,
进入了她的身体,又穿了出来,
on human bodies.
and people's bodies.
看到了艺术。
most of my creative instincts
on my childhood memories
and I think to myself, like,
if we all walked around
from Yoruba mythology?
The Sacred Art of the Ori was born.
it means your instincts.
代表了你的天性。
when you tap into your Ori,
about painting on human bodies.
my regular work in Brooklyn,
日常工作,
for my music video?
how did she even know me?
Of course I thought it was a scam.
这肯定是个垃圾邮件。
不可能。
it was real, it was true,
这是真的,真的是真的,
to pay homage to New Orleans,
(枪击事件)表达她的想法,
of her creole origins.
她的血统起源。
from zero to 100 real fast.
and, like, take everything in.
we work so hard all our lives
我们为了让自己的作品为人认可,
in me is still there,
to fight for what I believe in.
some of my art in motion.
一些行进中的艺术。
I ever painted in my life,
my hopes and my fears.
one huge, nameless continent
over 350 ethnic groups and languages,
我们有超过350个民族和语言,
that I hope I will be able to change
我希望我有能力改变
on the continent and here,
非洲艺术的方式,
at Harlem markets in New York
买到的东西,
you see has a story,
都有一个故事,
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Laolu Senbanjo - Artist, musician, lawyer, activistLaolu Senbanjo's motto is: “Everything is my canvas.”
Why you should listen
A visual artist, musician, human rights lawyer and activist, Laolu Senbanjo puts his mark on everything from canvas, to shoes, to walls and buildings, to clothing and even the body with his Sacred Art of the Ori. Born and raised in Ilorin, Nigeria, his Yoruba heritage is ever-present in his work, which marries modern detail and ornate style to create a vision of Afrofuturism.
His preferred medium is charcoal, "because it’s something as natural as life and death," he writes, and he also works in acrylics, inks and even wood. Senbanjo created work for the astonishing "Sorry" video from Beyoncé's Lemonade, and he has worked with Angelique Kidjo, Kenneth Cole, Alicia Keys, Usher and many more.
Laolu Senbanjo | Speaker | TED.com