Ryan Martin: Why we get mad -- and why it's healthy
瑞安·马丁: 为什么我们会生气——为什么愤怒是健康的
Dr. Ryan Martin is the chair of the psychology department at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
get a text from a friend, and it reads ...
如果你的朋友发给你一条短信说,
我现在好生气!”
I'm SO MAD right now!"
and you ask for details.
询问具体的细节。
他们在健身房,在工作场所
about what happened to them
or on their date last night.
是什么让他们这么生气。
to understand why they're so mad.
whether or not they should be so mad.
他们应不应该这么生气。
基本是我每天都要做的,
essentially what I get to do every day,
我花费了职业生涯大部分的时间——
a good part of my professional life --
也是我个人的大部分时间——
they have when they get mad,
when they get mad,
or breaking things,
对着网友大骂一通。
in all caps on the internet.
their anger stories.
they need a therapist,
而且都能理解的某种东西。
and it's something they can relate to.
就开始感受到愤怒了,
since the first few months of life,
想要的东西时,我们抗议地哭泣,
in our cries of protests,
you won't pick up the rattle, Dad,
as my mom can certainly attest to with me.
在感受它,老妈可以给我作证。
都一直在感受它。
一些最糟糕的时刻都如影随形。
at some of the worst moments of our lives.
part of our grief.
自然且可预见的部分。
最好的时刻也同样如影随形,
in some of the best moments of our lives,
like weddings and vacations
意外坏了兴致——
frustrations --
最终总会在事情好转后被忘记。
when things go OK.
with people about their anger
关于他们的愤怒的谈话,
在很多人心里,
that I've learned that many people,
这个房间中的很多人,
in this room right now,
it interferes in your life,
甚至可能你们认为它很吓人。
maybe even the ways it's scary.
我对愤怒的看法有一点不同,
I see anger a little differently,
一些真的很重要的
something really important
一种强大而又健康的力量。
force in your life.
we actually have to back up
我们需要退一步,
in the first place.
追溯到一位愤怒研究者的著作。
of an anger researcher
在1996年写了这本关于愤怒这方面的书,
who wrote about this back in 1996
如何处理有问题的愤怒。
with problematic anger.
我敢打赌你们中的大部分人
and I bet most of you,
让我好生气!”
when people drive this slow,"
是因为她又忘了把牛奶放回冰箱!”
the milk out again."
只希望其他人不要再干预我的事了。”
people just need to stop messing with me."
those types of provocations,
这些让人恼怒的类型,
我的朋友,同事,甚至是家人,
my friends and colleagues and even family,
that really get to you?
to point out one of the advantages
愤怒研究人员的一个优势,
generating a comprehensive list
我的同事感到愤怒的事情。
that really irritate my colleagues.
这是我的答案。
that one's mine.
比得上对说话拐弯抹角的怒气!
there is no rage like roundabout rage.
aren't minor at all.
种族歧视,性别歧视和霸凌,
about racism and sexism and bullying
所要共同面对的全球性重要问题。
big, global problems we all face.
甚至详细得不同寻常。
maybe even oddly specific.
公共浴室的柜台上 ,
令人十分恼火。”
against the counter of a public bathroom."
只有两种方式插进去,
two ways to plug them in,
才能插进去呢?”
take me three tries?"
不管它详细与否,
whether it's general or specific,
that are unpleasant,
达到目标的情况下会生气,
where our goals are blocked,
让我们感觉到无力时我们会生气。
and that leave us feeling powerless.
所感受到的唯一东西。
we're feeling in these situations.
伤心的同时会感到愤怒,
that we're scared or sad,
they aren't making us mad.
如果它们是生气的原因,
事情而生气,但是我们并没有。
over the same things, and we don't.
than the reasons you get angry,
something else going on.
我们知道自己的行为和想法。
at the moment of that provocation matters.
“预生气状态”——你饿吗?你累吗?
are you hungry, are you tired,
你快要迟到了吗?
are you running late for something?
is not the provocation,
是应该受到谴责和惩罚的吗?
is it blameworthy, is it punishable?
it's when you evaluate the event itself.
这就是最原始的评估。
去理解这件事情的意义,
in the context of our lives
就可以定义这件事情糟糕的程度。
we decide how bad it is.
that's ever happened,
有史以来最糟糕的事情吗?
to imagine you are driving somewhere.
想象一下你正在开车去某个地方。
I should tell you,
能让你恼怒的情境,
that was going to make you mad,
a lot like driving.
on your way somewhere,
堵车,其他司机,道路施工——
other drivers, road construction --
或者约定俗成的规矩,
and unwritten rules of the road,
在你面前被其他人违反,
right in front of you,
你永远不会再见第二次的人,
people you will never see again,
你怒气发泄的目标。
for your wrath.
去某个地方,你会准备变得生气,
thus teed up to be angry,
速度远远低于限速。
is driving well below the speed limit.
他们为什么开得这么慢。
why they're driving so slow.
判断出了这是件坏事,值得被责备。
it's bad and it's blameworthy.
it's not that big a deal.
you don't get angry.
to a job interview.
去一个工作面试的路上。
it hasn't changed, right?
还是坏的,还是值得责备的。
still bad, still blameworthy.
to cope with it sure does.
to that job interview.
piles and piles of money.
your dream job
move in with your parents.
和你的爸妈一起住。
just to ruin your life.
就是为了毁掉你的生活。
做到最糟糕的情况。
the one where we make the worst of things.
与长期愤怒联系在一起的
types of thoughts that we know
where it doesn't belong.
车钥匙的时候,你说
you lost your car keys and you said,
they ran off on their own.
他们用一些像“经常”
they use words like "always,"
“这永远都发生在我身上”,
"this always happens to me,"
所有的红灯!”之类的话。
on the way here today."
ahead of the needs of others:
自己的需求放在他人需求之前:
is driving so slow,
这样我就可以按时参加面试!”
so I can get to this job interview."
I've been told I'm not allowed to say
as cognitive distortions
有时候就是不合逻辑的。
又是完全符合逻辑的。
are totally rational.
变得生气不仅仅是可以接受的,
when we're treated poorly,
when we're treated poorly.
to remember from my talk today, it's this:
不管是人类还是猿人——
both human and nonhuman,
危险保持警惕一样,
不公正的情况保持警惕。
communicates to you
to confront that injustice.
你去对抗这种不公正。
about the last time you got mad.
你开始冒汗。
you started to sweat.
as your fight-or-flight system,
在反应时所需要的能量。
the energy you need to respond.
来为你储存能量。
slowed down so you could conserve energy.
将血液输送到你的四肢。
to get blood to your extremities.
of physiological experiences
大自然力量抗争。
forces of nature.
your ancestors did
合理或者合适的表现。
or appropriate.
被挑衅的时候都强烈反击。
every time you're provoked.
weren't capable of.
to regulate your emotions.
并且将愤怒转换成
and you can channel that anger
from getting angry.
我们不应该去感受到它的假设上。
and that it's wrong to feel it.
of anger as a motivator.
把愤怒想作一种动力。
是你去喝水的动力,
motivates you to get a drink of water,
是你去吃东西的动力,
motivates you to get a bite to eat,
不正义做出反应的动力。
to respond to injustice.
to find things we should be mad about.
去找到让我们生气的东西。
不值得我们去生气。
and not worth getting angry over.
environmental destruction,
霸凌,环境破坏,
也是是很可怕的,
those things are terrible,
首先就是要生气,
is to get mad first
into fighting back.
with aggression or hostility or violence.
敌对性或者暴力去回击。
that you can express your anger.
你可以写信给新闻社编辑,
you can write letters to the editor,
and volunteer for causes,
你可以创作文学作品,
you can create literature,
that cares for one another
those atrocities to happen.
you feel yourself getting angry,
你的愤怒在告诉你什么。
to what that anger is telling you.
一些积极的,有生产力的情绪。
into something positive and productive.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Ryan Martin - PsychologistDr. Ryan Martin is the chair of the psychology department at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
Why you should listen
Dr. Ryan Martin teaches courses on mental illness and emotion, including a course on anger. He researches and writes on healthy and unhealthy expressions of anger. His website, All the Rage, covers recent research on anger and provides anger management tips on how to handle anger most effectively. He also hosts the popular psychology podcast, Psychology and Stuff.
Martin was trained as a counseling psychologist at the University of Southern Mississippi, where he first started studying anger after earning his undergraduate degree in psychology with a minor in criminal justice from the University of St. Thomas. He has worked with clients -- angry and otherwis -- in a variety of settings including community mental health centers, college counseling centers and a VA Hospital.
Martin is a professor of psychology and an associate dean for the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. His work has been featured in the New York Times, NPR's Invisibilia podcast, BBC Radio's Digital Human and elsewhere. When he's not thinking about feelings, he runs and spends time with his family.
Ryan Martin | Speaker | TED.com