Shonda Rhimes: My year of saying yes to everything
珊达·瑞姆斯: 对一切说“我可以”的一年
With the runaway success of shows like Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes has become one of Hollywood’s most powerful icons. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
to all the things that scared me.
took me out of my comfort zone,
the thing that scared me
my social anxiety, poof, gone.
我的社交焦虑症都消失了
in the most profound way,
from my toddler.
Harper, Beckett and Emerson,
她们是哈珀 贝克特和爱默生
refers to everyone as "honey."
他还不知为何要叫每个人“亲爱的”
for my sippy cup."
to play with her one evening
and I said, "Yes."
of a new way of life for my family.
asks me to play,
or where I'm going,
but I try hard to practice it.
但我十分努力的去达到
that I fully understood it,
to playing with my children
would call a dream job.
I make stuff up for a living.
我想象 我靠创作为生
I executive produce television.
a great deal of television.
70 hours of programming to the world.
70 hours of TV --
at a time, sometimes four.
that didn't exist before.
of network television
from three to six million dollars.
times four shows,
20 million dollars worth of television,
sometimes four,
21 episodes of "Scandal,"
21集的《丑闻》
"How To Get Away With Murder,"
that's 70 hours of TV,
总共70小时
on Thursday night.
in 256 territories in 67 languages
以67种语言放映着
are shows I personally created
so on top of everything else,
real quiet, creative time,
那种安静而适合创作的时间
campfires burning all over the world.
星火在世界各地燃烧着
就像我说的 我是个巨人
我不是为了让你们佩服我而讲这个故事
think of when you hear the word "writer."
当你们听到”作家“这个词后在想什么
out there who work so hard,
or a country or a classroom
或一个国家或一间教室
when I talk about working,
peck at a computer and imagine all day,
is not about dreaming.
all blood, all sweat, no tears.
有血有汗 不能流泪
when I'm deep in it,
building a nation out of thin air.
我在这庞杂世界之外的一片乐土
It is painting a canvas.
It is running a marathon.
at the same time.
and exhausting and exhilarating
它是折磨的,也是身心愉悦的
and clinical and maternal
它有时不通人性,有时充满母性光辉
when the work gets good.
我会感到体内有些变化
and that hum sounds like the open road,
它听起来像是开阔的公路
when I try to explain the hum,
about the writing,
making television
and collaborating,
this buzz, this rush, this hum.
The hum is a drug.
The hum is light and air.
but strive for greatness at any cost.
I'm not built for failure,
to tell you I'm a titan,
I don't want to question it.
the more barriers broken,
当我克服越多的障碍
the more history stares,
越来越多的历史摆在我面前
the marathon I'm running,
我正在跑的马拉松
the high note, the hum,
这充实感
我热爱这种充实感
我就是这种充实感
are used to the truth
is a single working titan.
but you can text my nanny."
但你可以发短信给我的保姆。“
I'm wanting to go to ShondaLand."
我想去ShondaLand(演讲者拥有的制作公司)。“
when the hum stopped.
I couldn't restart the engine.
不能再重新感受到它
I always did, all the same titan work,
一直都是 同样繁重的工作
straight through the weekends,
a titan never sleeps, a titan never quits,
巨人从不休息 从不退出
three shows in production at a time,
三个秀同时制作
three shows in production at a time ...
三个秀同时制作
take home to your mother.
and I was no longer having any fun.
但我再也不能从中获得乐趣。
变得像土一样乏味
starts to taste like dust?
stupid writer titan lady."
愚蠢的巨人女作家。“
if you love what you do,
如果你热爱你所做的事情
being a mother, being a painter,
一位母亲,一名画家
and that gives you the hum,
而且那让你感受到充实感
if you have been to the hum,
如果你曾经那样充实过
can I survive in the silence?
我能否在这死寂中存活呢
asks me a question.
I'm late, and she says,
她说
when I realize two things.
我突然意识到两件事
to say yes to everything,
我应该对所有事说可以
didn't call me "honey."
我的”南方服务生“没有叫我“亲爱的”
"honey" anymore.
and mourning my hum,
作为一个巨人痛失我的充实感
right before my eyes.
她的姐姐们也加入了我们
from the book Everybody Poops.
the marathon I'm running,
那个我正在跑的马拉松
the high note does not exist.
那些高歌 都不存在了
and tiny voices and crayons
羸弱的声音和蜡笔
needs to let go of.
that I can barely breathe.
but it happens, it does happen.
它真实的发生了
very still to hear it, but it is there.
它还在那里
a very magical secret.
就是爱
the hum of the titan,
从成为一个巨人获得的
and how globally badass my brain is,
和我的大脑有多么国际化,多么牛掰,
and the hum is not work-specific.
不是一定要与工作有关
that comes from being excited by life.
and the expectation, and the pressure.
无视那些期待 那些压力
the wrong words,
was telling me I was the titan?
我是巨人的呢?
of my workaholic guilt.
the way I'm interested in doing work.
and humiliating to face.
because I like working.
因为我喜欢工作
than I like being at home.
is incredibly difficult to handle,
likes working more than being at home?
I call myself a titan.
我叫自己巨人
isn't that I am too relaxed.
up and back and up and back.
跑上跑下的
and confused most of the time.
但大部分时间我很困惑
and the hum of the universe fills me up.
这种最平常的充实感充满了我的内心
然后不禁思考
in the first place.
your child asks you to play.
I'm an idiot in diamond shoes?
and you're not a Muppet.
因为你不是蕾哈娜 也不是一个木偶
you're that interesting.
only ever want to play with me
they want to do something else.
but it's 15 minutes.
但只是15分钟
I'm invisible after 15 minutes.
15分钟后她们就不理会我了
a 13-year-old to talk to me for 15 minutes
如果我能让一个13岁的孩子跟我聊15分钟的天
of uninterrupted time on my worst day.
我也可以挤出15分钟不被打扰的时间
不要做其他任何事
You have to get dinner on the table.
你要准备晚饭
But you can do 15 minutes.
但你仍可以有这15分钟
they're my world,
她们是我的全世界
feels more good than not good.
In fact, I fail as often as I succeed,
实际上 我失败的并不比我成功的少
staring into space.
for indulging myself
成为了使我放松自己的捷径
the time I got my first TV show,
I became a titan-in-training,
competing with myself for ways unknown.
with giving myself my full attention
让我自己全身心的投入到这15分钟里
possible for the hum to return,
could only refuel while I was away.
只有在我不在的时候才会加满油
but after a few months,
但几个月后
standing in my office
一股急流涌进来
full on groove inside me,
填满了我内心的空虚
spinning with ideas,
让我迸发出很多好点子
and I can drive it and drive it,
我可以一直一直开下去
but I don't love that hum.
不是以前那种
那种充实也不是我
and dinners with friends.
是和朋友一起吃晚餐的普通人
it is just no longer all of me,
再也不是我的全部
about being a titan,
play Red Rover, Red Rover.
“红色漫游者”(儿童游戏)
and somehow I still run my world.
我仍以某种方式掌握着我的世界
My campfires still burn.
我的篝火还在燃烧
and the happier my kids are.
我的孩子也越快乐
the more I feel like a good mother.
我越觉得自己是个合格的母亲
the freer my mind becomes.
我的心情也就越自由
我工作做得越好
我越能感受那那充实
the marathon I'm running,
我在跑的那个马拉松
the high note, the hum, the hum,
那充实感 那充实感
quivering, uncocooned,
发抖的 与世隔绝的
the more I know who I am.
我越清楚我到底是谁
我创造 我想象
that's living the dream.
should be a little bit dreamy.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Shonda Rhimes - Writer, producerWith the runaway success of shows like Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes has become one of Hollywood’s most powerful icons.
Why you should listen
When ABC kicked off its 2014 television season by devoting its Thursday night line-up to the Shondaland shows How to Get Away With Murder, Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes -- already one of the most influential producers in Hollywood -- became arguably the single most powerful voice in television today. In 2015, ABC snapped up Rhimes’ latest series, The Catch. Shondaland shows have the special ability to capture both fan devotion and critical attention – she’s won everything from a Peabody Award to a People’s Choice Award.
Rhimes is known for her groundbreaking storytelling, her candor and humor in the face of her critics, and for never shying away from speaking her mind. She’s also known for her social media savvy, and fans of her shows basically own Twitter on Thursday nights. Her first book, Year of Yes, was published in November 2015.
Shonda Rhimes | Speaker | TED.com