Shonda Rhimes: My year of saying yes to everything
珊達.萊梅斯: 我對一切說「好」的一年
With the runaway success of shows like Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes has become one of Hollywood’s most powerful icons. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
to all the things that scared me.
讓我感到害怕的事都說「好」。
took me out of my comfort zone,
the thing that scared me
my social anxiety, poof, gone.
咻的一聲消失了。
in the most profound way,
from my toddler.
Harper, Beckett and Emerson,
分別是哈珀、貝克特和愛默生。
refers to everyone as "honey."
她就是喜歡叫大家「甜心」,
for my sippy cup."
to play with her one evening
要我跟她一起玩,
and I said, "Yes."
然後我說好。
of a new way of life for my family.
我跟家人一種新的生活方式。
asks me to play,
or where I'm going,
或者我準備要去哪,
but I try hard to practice it.
但我努力試著去練習,
發生在我身上,
that I fully understood it,
to playing with my children
would call a dream job.
大部分人都認為是「夢幻職業」。
I make stuff up for a living.
我靠創作東西賺錢。
I executive produce television.
我執導製作電視節目。
a great deal of television.
70 hours of programming to the world.
給全世界的觀眾看,
70 hours of TV --
70 小時的電視曝光時數──
at a time, sometimes four.
that didn't exist before.
以往不曾存在的工作,
of network television
from three to six million dollars.
times four shows,
乘以四個電視劇,
20 million dollars worth of television,
價值二千萬美元的電視劇。
70 個小時的電視曝光時數,
有時候四個。
sometimes four,
21 episodes of "Scandal,"
21集的《醜聞》,
10 集的《隱情》,
"How To Get Away With Murder,"
that's 70 hours of TV,
on Thursday night.
用 67 種語言播放著,
in 256 territories in 67 languages
are shows I personally created
有 45 小時是我個人創作的劇情,
so on top of everything else,
real quiet, creative time,
能發揮創作的時間,
70 個小時的電視曝光時數,
campfires burning all over the world.
這樣的營火遍佈了全世界。
才說這些的。
think of when you hear the word "writer."
你們對「編劇」的想像。
out there who work so hard,
好讓你們其中工作特別辛苦的人,
or a country or a classroom
when I talk about working,
peck at a computer and imagine all day,
輕敲幾下,然後整日幻想。
is not about dreaming.
並不是靠空想,
all blood, all sweat, no tears.
付出你的心血,沒有時間沮喪。
when I'm deep in it,
building a nation out of thin air.
在稀薄的空氣中打造一個王國,
It is painting a canvas.
像是在畫布上作畫,
It is running a marathon.
像是一場馬拉松賽跑,
at the same time.
and exhausting and exhilarating
讓人筋疲力盡、也讓人興奮不已。
and clinical and maternal
是冷冰的,也是慈愛的。
是因為一種「心智狀態」。
when the work gets good.
這些不同的狀態在我腦中切換,
and that hum sounds like the open road,
就像一條寬敞的大道,
when I try to explain the hum,
about the writing,
寫作當然帶給我快樂,
making television
直到我開始做電視節目,
and collaborating,
this buzz, this rush, this hum.
這個感覺跟「嗡」的狀態,
The hum is a drug.
是一種活動,就像一種藥。
The hum is light and air.
but strive for greatness at any cost.
I'm not built for failure,
to tell you I'm a titan,
我是個霸主,
I don't want to question it.
the more barriers broken,
打破越多的藩籬,
the more history stares,
the marathon I'm running,
那場我跑的馬拉松,
那個高音、「嗡」的狀態,
the high note, the hum,
我是否什麼都不是了呢?
are used to the truth
is a single working titan.
熱愛工作的電視霸主。
but you can text my nanny."
但你可以傳訊息給我保母。」
I'm wanting to go to ShondaLand."
when the hum stopped.
她們分別是十二歲、三歲跟一歲,
I couldn't restart the engine.
我無法重新發動那引擎。
I always did, all the same titan work,
一樣那些「霸主的工作」,
straight through the weekends,
週末直接通宵,
a titan never sleeps, a titan never quits,
一個不眠不休的霸主,
諸如此類,
three shows in production at a time,
70 小時電視曝光時數,
three shows in production at a time ...
同時製作三個電視劇,有時四個。
take home to your mother.
「可以帶回家給媽媽看」的那種人。
and I was no longer having any fun.
我不再感到有任何樂趣。
starts to taste like dust?
你會怎麼辦?
stupid writer titan lady."
if you love what you do,
你熱愛你所做的事,
being a mother, being a painter,
為人母、當畫家,
and that gives you the hum,
而那些讓你感受到「嗡」的感覺,
if you have been to the hum,
如果你曾經在那種狀態中,
can I survive in the silence?
那麼我能在這片靜默中生存下去嗎?
asks me a question.
問了我一個問題,
I'm late, and she says,
已經遲到了,這時她說:
when I realize two things.
意識到兩件事。
to say yes to everything,
didn't call me "honey."
沒有叫我「甜心」。
"honey" anymore.
and mourning my hum,
跟哀悼我失去的狀態時,
right before my eyes.
後來她的姊妹加入我們,
from the book Everybody Poops.
一段讓人印象深刻的閱讀。
the marathon I'm running,
那場我跑的馬拉松,
那個高音都不存在了。
the high note does not exist.
and tiny voices and crayons
微小的聲音跟一堆蠟筆,
needs to let go of.
究竟有什麼事需要放手。
that I can barely breathe.
讓我無法呼吸,
but it happens, it does happen.
但是發生了,確實發生了。
very still to hear it, but it is there.
才能聽到它,但「嗡」確實存在。
a very magical secret.
一個非常神奇的秘密。
沒有什麼秘密,就只是愛,
the hum of the titan,
霸主的狀態,
只能提那些電視劇、
and how globally badass my brain is,
跟我的頭腦有多麼厲害,
真正的「嗡」是什麼。
and the hum is not work-specific.
也不只是跟工作有關。
that comes from being excited by life.
來自於生活中的刺激。
and the expectation, and the pressure.
不顧那些期待跟壓力。
the wrong words,
was telling me I was the titan?
我是個霸主?
of my workaholic guilt.
the way I'm interested in doing work.
and humiliating to face.
because I like working.
than I like being at home.
is incredibly difficult to handle,
是難以想像地難以處理。
likes working more than being at home?
比較不喜歡待在家呢?
I call myself a titan.
從我自稱霸主這點,
isn't that I am too relaxed.
up and back and up and back.
and confused most of the time.
感到彆扭、開心又困惑,
and the hum of the universe fills me up.
跟宇宙間「嗡」的感受充滿著我,
in the first place.
your child asks you to play.
I'm an idiot in diamond shoes?
不食人間煙火的傻子?
and you're not a Muppet.
因為你不是蕾哈娜或大青蛙布偶。
you're that interesting.
你有趣到想一直跟你玩。
only ever want to play with me
they want to do something else.
but it's 15 minutes.
但就是 15 分鐘。
I'm invisible after 15 minutes.
否則 15 分鐘後我就會完全像個隱形人。
a 13-year-old to talk to me for 15 minutes
如果我能讓她跟我說話 15 分鐘,
of uninterrupted time on my worst day.
我也完全能挪出不中斷的 15 分鐘。
You have to get dinner on the table.
你必須準備晚餐,
但你絕對可以挪出 15 分鐘。
But you can do 15 minutes.
they're my world,
她們就是我的世界。
feels more good than not good.
是好的感受多過不好的感受。
In fact, I fail as often as I succeed,
事實上,我失敗的次數相當頻繁,
staring into space.
for indulging myself
讓我寵愛自己的方式,
the time I got my first TV show,
I became a titan-in-training,
competing with myself for ways unknown.
跟自己較量時,原本萬萬沒想到的。
with giving myself my full attention
possible for the hum to return,
could only refuel while I was away.
「嗡」的動力才能重新點燃,
but after a few months,
standing in my office
我發現自己站在辦公室中,
full on groove inside me,
我感到節奏在我體內律動,
spinning with ideas,
and I can drive it and drive it,
我可以一直開下去,
but I don't love that hum.
但我並沒有愛上那種感覺。
and dinners with friends.
跟朋友們的晚餐,
it is just no longer all of me,
但已經不再是全部的我。
about being a titan,
play Red Rover, Red Rover.
會跑去玩兒童遊戲。
and somehow I still run my world.
而我的世界依然運轉著。
My campfires still burn.
我的營火還在燃燒。
and the happier my kids are.
我的孩子也是。
the more I feel like a good mother.
the freer my mind becomes.
the marathon I'm running,
the high note, the hum, the hum,
那感受、那狀態,
quivering, uncocooned,
the more I know who I am.
我越知道自己是誰:
that's living the dream.
should be a little bit dreamy.
就應該要有點夢幻才對。
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Shonda Rhimes - Writer, producerWith the runaway success of shows like Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes has become one of Hollywood’s most powerful icons.
Why you should listen
When ABC kicked off its 2014 television season by devoting its Thursday night line-up to the Shondaland shows How to Get Away With Murder, Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes -- already one of the most influential producers in Hollywood -- became arguably the single most powerful voice in television today. In 2015, ABC snapped up Rhimes’ latest series, The Catch. Shondaland shows have the special ability to capture both fan devotion and critical attention – she’s won everything from a Peabody Award to a People’s Choice Award.
Rhimes is known for her groundbreaking storytelling, her candor and humor in the face of her critics, and for never shying away from speaking her mind. She’s also known for her social media savvy, and fans of her shows basically own Twitter on Thursday nights. Her first book, Year of Yes, was published in November 2015.
Shonda Rhimes | Speaker | TED.com