Lidia Yuknavitch: The beauty of being a misfit
莉迪婭.約克娜薇琪: 「格格不入」之美
In her acclaimed novels and memoir, author Lidia Yuknavitch navigates the intersection of tragedy and violence to draw new roadmaps for self-discovery. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
of things that are big,
about something very small.
because it's so literal.
因為它是如此地切和字面上的意思——
who sort of missed fitting in.
一個人錯過了融入群體的機會。
misfits in the room,
我永遠不是唯一一個。
came right to my doorstep.
近得彷彿就在我眼前。
I'd won a giant literary prize
我獲得了一個知名文學獎項。
as a competitive swimmer
作為優秀游泳選手的生活,
and loss can make you insane.
是如何逼瘋人的。
to meet big-time editors and agents
前往紐約會見一流的編輯,著作經紀人
writer's dream, right?
夢想,對吧?
the letter came to my house?
for an entire day,
I'd already screwed my life up.
把自己的人生搞砸的。
failed marriages underneath my belt.
not once but twice
而是兩次。
that I'm not going to tell you about.
但我不打算告訴你們。
of rehab for drug use.
staycations in jail.
在監獄裡。
I think, I was a misfit,
我想,是因為我是個不適應環境的人。
the day she was born,
how to live with that story yet.
I also spent a long time homeless,
我有很長一段時間無家可歸,
of zombie grief and loss
和失去所有的沉重情緒中,
are some of our most heroic misfits,
to just about every category out there:
在這當中所有的角色:
sad stone in my throat.
讓我感覺如鯁在喉。
that I got on that plane
see your heads glowing.
我幾乎可以看到你們頭上的光芒。
famous writers you wanted to meet,
可以選擇三位你最想會見的知名作家,
and found them for you.
late in the night
直到深夜,
and smart and swank, too.
of editors and authors and agents
I stole three linen napkins --
我偷了三條亞麻餐巾——
so that when I got home,
所以當我回家之後,
happened to me.
真的曾經發生在我身上過。
and Peggy Phelan.
best-selling authors,
that later became my art bible.
permission to believe
my stories could be part of the world.
could be more important than my boobs.
through the mainstream
water cut the Grand Canyon.
想要知道流水是如何切出大峽谷的。
over-50-year-old women writers.
killed me with joy
in New York I wanted to die there.
因為那些充滿初體驗的美好夜晚。
I'm good. This is beautiful."
太好了,這實在是太美好了。」
will understand what happened next.
會理解接下來發生的事。
of Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
斯特勞斯和吉魯的辦公室。
was like my mega-dream press.
是我的夢想中的出版社。
were published there.
弗蘭納里.奧康納的小說都在那裡出版。
and talked to me for a long time,
並和我談了許久。
like a numb idiot,
came out of my throat.
任何一個字。
on the shoulder
他拍了拍我的肩膀,
to the offices of W.W. Norton,
W.W.諾頓的辦公室,
I'd be escorted from the building
and touching the moon
across the cosmos.
a deal it was to me.
這對我來說是多麼了不起的一件事。
with these beady, bright, fierce eyes
用明亮、熱烈、犀利的目光,
something then, immediately!"
「馬上把你的一些作品寄給我!」
especially TED people,
尤其是來到TED這裡的人
and licking a stamp.
at the National Poetry Club.
參加了一場讀書會。
Hoyt & Picard Literary Agency,
和霍伊特與皮卡德著作經紀人
like, on the spot.
were dressed so beautifully,
穿著都是如此華麗,
便離開了。
that small, sad stone in my throat ...
我仍舊如鯁在喉,無法說出口……
about people like me.
我在說的是那些和我一樣的人。
how to hope or say yes
甚至不會開口説一個「好」
we deserve to be in the room
待在同一個屋簷下的恥辱。
待在同一個房間裡的恥辱。
and I'd coach myself.
我想回到過去。
over-50-year-old women who helped me.
五十歲女人一樣,告訴自己,
可以要求得到那些屬於我的東西。
You belong in the room, too."
你值得站在這裡!」
我飛回了俄勒岡。
and rain come back into view,
of airplane "feel sorry for yourself."
I was some kind of misfit writer.
我也會是位不合群的作家。
沒有著作經紀人,
and heart-ful of memories
I allowed myself.
是我留給自己的唯一獎勵。
who tries to get you to shut up
only you know how to tell."
表達只有你知道的這些感受。」
只是講述一個故事。」
只是講述一個故事。」
the woman over 50.
我是個五十多歲的女人了。
抵達我郵箱的那一天,
I've had to reinvent a self
我如何從一團糟的人生選擇岔路裡
were really just weird-ass portals
有關於我那些表面上糟透了的失敗
was give voice to the story.
就是把故事說出口,賦予它們生命。
about following your dreams.
都有一種「追逐夢想」的神話傳說。
我更喜歡另外一種神話。
或許不會意識到,
to reinvent yourself
試圖絕地重生的你,
or your job or your husband
或是你的伴侶,
in the middle of your failure
and phenomenal misfit,
講述你的故事。
講述你的故事。
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Lidia Yuknavitch - AuthorIn her acclaimed novels and memoir, author Lidia Yuknavitch navigates the intersection of tragedy and violence to draw new roadmaps for self-discovery.
Why you should listen
Writer Lidia Yuknavitch discovered her calling after an interrupted journey as a would-be Olympic swimmer. Her prose erases the boundaries between memoir and fiction, explodes gender binaries and focuses on the visceral minutiae of the body.
She was inspired by Ken Kesey (with whom she collaborated on a collective novel project at Oregon University); her latest book, The Small Backs of Children, stands as a fictional counterpoint to her memoir The Chronology of Water, which has garnered her a cult following for its honesty and intensity.
Lidia Yuknavitch | Speaker | TED.com