Serena Williams and Gayle King: On tennis, love and motherhood
塞雷娜•威廉姆斯,蓋爾.金: 網球,愛,與爲人母
With her legendary spirit and unstoppable serve, tennis legend Serena Williams has become one of the world’s most enduring athletic superstars. Full bioGayle King - Journalist
Gayle King is a co-host of "CBS This Morning” and Editor-at-Large of the award-winning O, the Oprah Magazine. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
穿著黃色泳裝的照片,
bathing suit last week
all I could think of was,
我一直在想:
til we sat onstage for TED?"
TED 演講時再公開呢?」
supposed to see that picture.
讓其他人看到那張照片。
actually, it was an accident.
just taking some time for myself,
只是給自己留點私人時間,
where I've been checking my status
to see how far along I'm going --
I have just been saving it,
you press the wrong button and --
按錯了一個按鈕就…
my phone doesn't ring that much --
我的電話向來不怎麼響,
I missed like four calls,
就有四個未接來電,
and I was like, oh no.
我心想:「噢,不。」
just five or six more days -- that's OK.
沒關係的。
Serena, because it only said 20 weeks,
因為上面只寫了20 週,
a whole lot of information on it.
what I've been doing all this time.
我一直以來都是這麼做的。
I'd just take a picture and save it,
每週我都會拍下照片並保存起來,
結果這次失手了。
好吧,恭喜你。
When you heard the news,
當你得知這個消息時,
Were you afraid? Were you worried?
the beginning of the Australian Open,
開賽前兩天得知的,
two days before, and I knew.
我非常緊張。
打好澳網公開賽才是最重要的,
to just focus right there
sometimes in the first 12 weeks or so,
Ms. Williams, you won.
威廉姆絲女士,你還贏了。
你贏得了 23 場大滿貫賽事冠軍。
for another handicap, so ... no.
knowing you were pregnant?
在比賽時有什麼不同?
about people when they're pregnant,
孕婦會感到噁心和疲憊。
塞雷娜:我運氣不錯,還沒有。
and so I haven't.
and they get really stressed out,
通通放進紙袋裡,然後扔掉,
like I didn't have time
去處理任何額外的情緒和事情,
any extra anything,
就應該在那場賽事中取勝。
而如果我輸了,那將是更大的新聞。
it's actually much bigger news.
that's a big story.
那將是一件大事。
I had to really take anything negative
所有的負能量和情緒,
that I was feeling at that point
what the next step for me to do was.
You have a lot of love.
people stopped me at the airport.
人們也在機場攔住我,
「猜猜我要去哪裡?」
the pilot, "Guess where I'm going?"
我們很高興她懷孕了。」
we're so glad she's pregnant."
these cranky Yankees.
伊利耶·納斯塔塞。
was telling me about Ilie Nastase,
我敢說含有種族歧視的言論。
dare I say racial things.
to dignify what he said,
你為什麼要回應呢?
非常不恰當的評論。
very inappropriate comments,
非常支持我的同胞。
really supportive of my peers
to hold women up,
支持女性真的很重要。
她們想要與我合照,
they'll want to take pictures with me,
和一個好的榜樣,
and a good example for them.
to say about me and my peers,
對我和我同伴們的粗魯言論,
for us to stand up for each other
really important for me to say,
I'm not going anywhere,
a place for everything.
wasn't the time and the place.
你哪兒都不去的部分剪掉,
you're not going anywhere,
36 歲你的寶寶要出生了。
Baby's coming, 36.
age is always important,
年齡是很重要的。
這是尤其重要的。
that you're coming back.
她要離開兩年嗎?」
Two years will she be gone?"
我一直都在努力克服困難。
to defy the odds, you know,
I'm not done yet.
我的使命還沒有完成。
and that's something that --
那麼我知道我也可以。
he's a little bit older than me
他也比我大一些,
so I'm like, I know I can do that too.
所以我知道我也可以。
especially recently,
尤其是最近,
it's something I want to do.
how this is just a new part of my life,
我新生活的一部分,
not crying too much.
而不是一直哭個不停。
letter to your baby yesterday
寫了封很美的信。
to the youngest one,
I can't wait for you to get here.
我都期盼著你的到來。
because I think about your life, Serena.
我在思考你的人生。
in a six-month time:
經歷了人生的三個轉折點。
your love life? Da da da."
諸如此類的問題。
He's a nerdy, kinda geeky guy.
有點書呆子,有點宅,
to you about that, yes.
I said, "I know him!" He's awesome.
我就說:「我認識他,他棒極了。」
with a nerdy geek,
你會跟一個書呆子在一起。
with you, I didn't either,
我也沒想到。
他的確是個技術宅男。
when others have failed?
而不是其他人呢。
this is the one for me?
他就是那個對的人?
and my mom says he's very considerate,
我媽媽也說他替人着想。
make a huge difference in life.
能造成很大不同。
we have a show every year,
I was running around like crazy,
我幾乎是瘋了一樣到處忙碌。
of this shirt that he had,
that I had the same one,
ought to put a ring on it"?
never felt pressure to get married
從來沒有什麼壓力。
I'm the marrying type of person.
anything to interfere with that.
不讓任何事干擾我的職業。
in the middle of my training season,
the Australian Open.
"No, I can't go to Rome." OK.
「不,我不能去羅馬」的女孩。
on reaching my goals
專注於達成目標。
one player that I wanted to pass.
我想超越一個選手。
你說,於你而言——
that winning is addictive to you.
is superaddictive.
勝利真的很容易成癮。
I was only 17 years old,
of your first championship.
in the world like that.
能與之相提並論。
is a wonderful experience.
like I loved that feeling,
the feeling of losing. I feel like --
我覺得——
say you're a very bad loser.
熟悉你的人都說你輸不起。
no champion likes to lose.
沒有哪個冠軍是喜歡輸的。
you are very, very, very bad at it.
你表現非常糟糕。
so you know, that's all I can say.
你知道的,我就說這麼多。
between you and Venus,
關係一直很好奇。
and has followed the story
從你的故事中可以得知,
in whatever you do,
when you're playing her,
because you want to do something for her
因為想要為她做些事情,
because you want to crush her.
playing her or easier?
是更容易還是更困難?
is like playing myself,
就像是與我自己比賽一樣。
we grew up practicing together.
我們一起練球。
that has been difficult,
the ball before I hit it,
就知道我要打哪兒。
when I go out there,
當我走上賽場,
and I have to say to myself,
我必須告訴自己。
but today I have to be better.
而且我今天要做得更好。
if it's my sister or it's my friend,
是我的姐姐還是朋友。
and I have to be better
我會做得更好。
than anyone else at this moment
我比任何地方的任何人,
do you fall back for Venus?
因維納斯而退縮?
it was always Venus and Serena.
一直都是維納斯與塞雷娜。
has surpassed older sister.
is always going to be Venus and Serena.
永遠都是維納斯與塞雷娜。
she's my best friend,
她是我最好的朋友。
or else I would have shared them,
不然我就分享給大家了。
in a stroller on a tennis court,
money on the ice cream truck and stuff,
都花在冰淇淋那些零食上。
and give it to me at school
她就把她的錢給我。
and she would go without,
甚至她自己沒得吃。
she actually is
respect for each other
to realize you can be successful
你需要意識到你可以成功,
a wonderful relationship.
一段美好的感情。
we are best friends again.
我們又是最好的朋友了。
a day later for me,
對我來說可能只是晚了一天。
where you hit the ball
當你在賽場上擊球時,
when you did the blah blah blah"?
做過的那件事」?
those moments,
anything bad to me,
I'm the younger sister.
anything bad to you? Really?
從未對你做過任何壞事嗎?
I can think of some stuff I've done bad.
我想到那些我做過的壞事。
to forget them.
I know is very pure. I know that.
非常純粹,我知道。
to be superclose,
and we were always so close.
我們關係親密。
the two of you don't get together
你們會不會聚在一起,
to go out there and -- there's nothing?
我們一起出場。有嗎?
在澳網公開賽之前,
Before the Australian Open,
my camera while she was changing.
她換衣服時,我拿出相機。
which is totally inappropriate,
這種做法很不恰當。
「塞雷娜,不要這樣!」
And I was just laughing at her.
that we have, and like I said,
我們就是這種關係。
definitely mortal enemies,
and moments before, we're just --
以及上場之前,我們——
because at the end of the day,
會退出澳網——
I've been playing forever,
I'll be playing in 50 years, say?
我 50 年後會還在打。
There's never been anybody like you.
從沒有人像你一樣。
never been anybody
gender and race the way you have,
and the scrutiny that you have.
did you say, "I want to be like that"?
「我想要成為這樣的人?」
are looking at you
誰是你想要成為的人?
to be like that" for you?
感謝你帶來這個話題。
and I'm glad you brought that up.
想要成為最好的那一個。
I always wanted to be the best,
就必須以最優秀的為榜樣。
you've got to emulate the best.
when I was really young,
那時我還很年輕。
I would see Monica Seles,
以及莫尼卡·塞萊斯,
to a lot of the other players,
the technique that he did,
that to be the best,
that are the best,
不在最頂級的人上,
that's not at the top level.
沒人像你這麼努力。
nobody works as hard as you.
蓋爾:這也是我所聽說的。
GK: That's what I heard.
很有運動天賦。」
she's talented, she's athletic."
我小時候在同齡人中算很矮小。
I was really small for my age.
why I fight so hard and I work so hard
really, really, really small.
for whatever reason.
我小時候真的特別矮。
people talk about is your body.
人們還討論你的身材。
and women to their knees.
it's masculine, it's glorious,
非常陽剛也非常美麗。
when you were growing up?
對身材有過什麼情結嗎?
comfortable with your body?
when you're a teenage female
因爲當你還是一個
comfortable in my body.
對我的身材不滿意的。
reach goals that I wanted to reach,
達到了想要的目標。
am I happy with my body,
and other young girls
what I've experienced
too much, too little --
太多了,太少了——
勝利中學到了很多。
losing has brought me here today.
但我知道是失敗帶我走到今天。
is because of my losses,
也是歸功於失敗。
任何一次的經歷。
for me to lose again
or if something happens --
in business or in school --
live in the present,
mistakes in the future.
that I always try to live by.
會是一場旅行結婚嗎?
is it a destination wedding
或者你們就準備在佛羅里達結婚?
or are you going to do it in Florida?
We don't want to do too big,
一方面不想太隆重,
say no to this person, this person.
and we're just thinking --
Hopefully you can see that today.
你今天也看到了。
for Serena Williams is what?
下一步計畫是什麼呢?
and kind of come back and play tennis
那一定非常有趣。
我是有感覺到是男還是女。
of one or the other.
不過我有感覺。
we are cheering you on!
我們都支持你們。
GK: You're welcome.
蓋爾:不客氣。
塞雷娜:非常感謝。
SW: Thank you so much.
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
Serena Williams - AthleteWith her legendary spirit and unstoppable serve, tennis legend Serena Williams has become one of the world’s most enduring athletic superstars.
Why you should listen
Serena Williams sits at the top of the tennis world; she's won 23 career Grand Slams, which is the most Grand Slam singles titles in history, with her most recent win at the 2017 Australian Open. In some analysts' eyes, she's quite simply the greatest athlete of all time.
But Williams has extended her influence far beyond the tennis court. Through her activism, high-profile endorsements, TV and film appearances and writing (including a guide to life written with her sister, Venus), Williams inspires millions of fans worldwide.
Serena Williams | Speaker | TED.com
Gayle King - Journalist
Gayle King is a co-host of "CBS This Morning” and Editor-at-Large of the award-winning O, the Oprah Magazine.
Why you should listen
An award-winning journalist who has worked across television, radio and print, Gayle King is a co-host of CBS This Morning and Editor-at-Large of O, the Oprah Magazine.
King previously hosted The Gayle King Show, a live, weekday television interview program on OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. The program, which featured a discussion of a broad variety of topics that include politics, cultural developments, was also broadcast on XM Satellite Radio, where it premiered in 2006.
Before moving into print and radio, King worked for 18 years (1982–2000) as a television news anchor for CBS affiliate WFSB-TV in Hartford, Conn., during which period, she also hosted her own syndicated daytime program. Prior to joining WFSB, King worked at several other television stations, including WDAF-TV in Kansas City, Mo. (1978-1981), WJZ-TV in Baltimore, Md. (1976), and WTOP-TV in Washington, D.C. (1975).
King has received numerous awards for her extensive work as a journalist. In addition to three Emmys, she was honored in 2008 with the American Women in Radio & Television Gracie Award for Outstanding Radio Talk Show and in 2010 with both the Individual Achievement Award for Host-Entertainment/Information and the New York Women in Communications' Matrix Award.
Gayle King | Speaker | TED.com