Srikumar Rao: Plug into your hard-wired happiness
斯瑞庫馬.拉奧: 喚醒你的幸福基因
Executive, educator, writer and life coach Srikumar S. Rao asks, "Are you ready to succeed?" -- and in his famous course "Creativity and Personal Mastery," he teaches his students how to do so. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
of being who you are
to your knees in gratitude
你甚至願意跪下感恩
that's been bestowed on you;
活力四射。
that you're wasting your life.
你正在浪費你的生命。
in the next 17 minutes --
a conference on happiness,
that in some way, shape, fashion or form,
某種形式上,
children, relationships, whatever --
家庭、孩子、人際關係、無論什麽,
a minute on this.
in order to be happy?
a bunch of stuff comes up:
出現了很多答案:
lots of travel, time, etc, etc, etc.
環遊世界,大把時間,等等等等。
of, "Here's what I need to get
you can get, you can un-get.
你也都可能會失去,
Vast wealth can disappear tomorrow.
萬貫家財也可能一夜盡失,
have discovered this already.
that can make you happy
to suggest to you.
that you have to get, do or be
do or be in order to be happy.
都不會讓你變得幸福。
It is part of your DNA.
是你 DNA 中的一部份。
I speak in, such as top business schools,
比如一些頂尖的商學院,
what many of you are thinking,
你們每個人都想問的問題:
is my innate nature,
is actually very simple.
your entire life learning to be unhappy.
都用來學習如何不幸福了。
a particular mental model.
that this is the way the world works.
世界運轉的方式。
我們也有很多心理模式。
we've got dozens of mental models.
on how to find a job,
how to pick a restaurant to eat at,
如何選擇餐廳,
to go to ... dozens of them.
的心理模式,等等。
that we have mental models.
that we have mental models.
我們有心理模式。
is the way the world works.
就是這樣運作的。
這僅僅是一個心理模式。
that we buy into so strongly
so we can do something
so we can travel to exotic places
才能去異國旅遊,
so we can have great sex
才能有良好的性生活,
of the if-then model.
“如果-然後”模式的各個形式。
if I were to get more money,
如果我賺了更多的錢,
if only my wife would leave me --
如果我妻子離開我——
and go to college ...
如果這個發生了,
that's different
唯一不同的地方就是,
that you are focusing on?
特定的“如果”是不一樣的。
and where you were 10 years ago
that you were focusing on?
特定的“如果”不同而已。
10 years ago you now have.
你現在基本都已經擁有了,
is the model itself is flawed.
這個模式本身是有缺陷的。
"If this happens I will be happy" --
——如果發生了,然後我就會幸福——
that it is the model itself that's flawed,
enormous amounts of time
CEO it would help,
that I want to become a CEO.
not what you put on the "if" side
這個模式本身的缺陷,
所代入的“如果”的內容。
of such spectacular beauty
into a place of great serenity?
變得無比平靜。
raise your hands if you could.
可以的話請你們舉一下手,
發生這樣的事情?
不知怎麼的,
exactly as it was.
but it's kind of off to the left,
但是它的位置有點偏左,
200 yards to the right,
"That's a beautiful valley,
has too many crooked branches.
有太多歪斜的樹枝了,
a chainsaw and 20 minutes,
the universe just as it was,
原本樣貌的那一刻,
就會消失了,
your innate nature surfaced,
就會浮現出來,
that you think you have --
你有的所有難題——
to make it different.
“如果-然後"的模式:
然後我就會幸福。
you can get out of that,
如何擺脫這個心理模式,
towards getting out of that.
擺脫它的第一步。
to achieve something, correct?
實現一些夢想,對嗎?
and we want to have something.
都想要一些東西。
a successful conference.
一個成功的研討會。
great programs for your companies
all of that, is that correct?
所有這些,對嗎?
you would like something to happen.
你希望發生的事情。
about the following:
out of your control.
outside your control.
that when you have a goal
you don't achieve your goal,
who said, "Gee, you know,
他說:“天哪,你知道嗎,
a lot of attention to my wife,
關心過我的妻子了,
we went on a business trip,
非常昂貴的裙子,
you know, I care for you,
你看,我關心你,
to his wife, her immediate reaction was,
他妻子的第一反應是:
you don't know my size?"
I never wear this kind of thing?"
我從來不穿這類衣服嗎?”
he had a full-blown marital spat.
都能預料到,他們大吵一架。
for a particular outcome
was the exact opposite
where what we think of,
in order to get from where I am
所必須採取的步驟。
from what we would like,
of what we would like.
and you are guaranteed to have
that makes life suck.
invest in the outcome,
is a quote by John Wooden.
來描述最為貼切。
are familiar with John Wooden.
認識約翰.伍登,
the basketball Hall of Fame
運動員和教練雙重身份
of victories and finals in the NCAA --
並取得空前的勝利——
is he never spoke about winning.
都從未提及要獲勝的事情。
and you look in the mirror,
你對著鏡子中的自己捫心自問,
that you were capable of?
that you were capable of,
the best that you were capable of,
也會讓你很滿意。”
I want it so desperately,
to do whatever you can,
on, "This is the outcome."
“這就是我要的結果”。
of a particular outcome
這是我在的地方,
here is where I am,
and that's fine,
這就可以了。
to the extent that it gives you direction,
僅僅是因為它可以指引你方向,
completely in the process.
you want to take,
and from that new starting point,
從這個新的起點出發,
that every day is a blast.
你會發現每一天都是驚喜。
your hands if you have children.
如果你有孩子的話請舉手,
a small child learn to walk?
typically between 11 and 13 months,
11 至 13 個月大的時候,
and she sees everybody walking,
她看到每個人都在走路,
she falls down, she starts crying
她摔倒,她開始哭,
kisses the place, makes it well.
親親受傷的地方,撫平孩子的情緒。
mommy runs up again.
and no longer runs up
and then she takes another,
she's walking all over the place,
她就會到處走來走去,
to a new stage of parenting.
育兒的新階段了。
“這樣會發生什麽?
feelings of inadequacy
and fail yet again.
to learn to walk if you had to do that,
多久才能學會走路?
you had to get a counselor
is focusing on the process.
to invest in the process,
我們逐漸失去投入過程的能力,
is outside of our control,
結果都不如你意,
all of our emotional energy,
情感能量花在這裡,
I am going to invest in the process
the vision that I outlined to you.
我為你勾勒的願景路上。
is people say, "Professor Rao,
會讓你產生激情呢?”
you know, here is a list of things.
你知道的,一個清單。
這是我要的工資,
here's how much I travel,
我要多久旅行一次,
how deep the carpeting is,
我要地毯有多深,
I want to share with you,
也是我現在想與你分享的,
first of all, it doesn't exist.
首先,都不存在。
and you were plugged into it,
miserable self there as you are now,
一樣的遺憾、痛苦。
to ignite it within you
to ignite it where you are,
將心中的激情點燃,
that you are becoming.
that miracles happen on a regular basis.
你會發現奇跡常常發生。
whom you're delighted to meet.
is you take journeys.
you went on a journey.
your place of work is;
you go on a journey.
affairs with 19-something gardeners
與模特廝混的時候
are playing around with models.
but just ask yourself,
你只需要問自己:
I want to spend time?"
我想要去的地方嗎?“
the things you talk about,
the books you read --
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Srikumar Rao - Happiness teacherExecutive, educator, writer and life coach Srikumar S. Rao asks, "Are you ready to succeed?" -- and in his famous course "Creativity and Personal Mastery," he teaches his students how to do so.
Why you should listen
Srikumar Rao was an executive at Warner Communications and McGraw-Hill before he created his celebrated MBA course, "Creativity and Personal Mastery." The course -- the only business school course that has its own alumni association -- shows students how to discover their unique purpose, creativity and happiness, through group work and a philosophical perspective. Its popularity has led to write-ups in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and Business Week.
Rao is also an adviser to senior business executives, whom he helps find deeper meaning and engagement in their work. He's the author of Are You Ready to Succeed: Unconventional Strategies for Achieving Personal Mastery in Business and Life, and has been a contributing editor for Forbes. His latest book is titled Happiness at Work: Be Resilient, Motivated, and Successful - No Matter What.
Srikumar Rao | Speaker | TED.com