Hannah Gadsby: Three ideas. Three contradictions. Or not.
漢娜·加茲比: 三個想法。三種矛盾。或不是。
Hannah Gadsby skewers the straight world's dismissal and outright hostility toward the LGBTQ community in her stand-up sets, stage performances and television shows. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
這個字是個「迴文」。
the same forwards and backwards,
爸爸(Dad)——
because I'm a comedian.
因為我是喜劇演員。
you know about me already:
兩件關於我的事:
我不浪費任何時間。
you can know about me:
to speak my own mind.
說出我心中的想法。
of a contradiction, then,
who is so bad at the chat,
一個如此不擅長聊天的人,
a stand-up comedian.
comedi -- comedie ... See?
喜居(發音誤)……看吧?
是我快三十歲時,
virtual mute with low self-esteem
沉默寡言,還很自卑,
and stood in front of the audience,
我立刻就知道,
landed my first joke,
第一個笑話之前就知道,
I couldn't work out why.
at doing something I was so bad at?
做我這麼不擅長的事?
I could not understand it.
at something I'm so bad at,
做我這麼不擅長的事之前,
of contradiction into the work
I worked out why that was,
為什麼之後沒多久,
that little oppositional cat
丟進沉思的鴿子群之前,
where after quitting comedy,
一種在我放棄喜劇之後
comedian on the planet,
在談論的喜劇演員的程度,
at making retirement plans
我做退休計劃的能力,
of biographical detail
that I have three ideas
我想要與大家分享三個想法,
three contradictions:
矛盾來做到這一點:
I am good at talking;
我擅長說話;
why there's only two things
卻只點出兩件事——
a list of contradictions.
名副其實的矛盾清單。
that with a talk of this length,
在這種長度的演說中,
with just sharing one idea.
what is clearly very good advice,
一個很明顯非常好的建議,
to the beginning of this talk,
這場演說的開頭,
of the comedian trade,
喜劇行業中最喜歡的技倆,
來支持這段陳述。
create a pattern,
創造出一個格式,
Kayak. What?
砰!——克亞克。什麼?
fundamental to the way I do my craft,
to the way I communicate.
anything for nobody,
改變任何東西,
stands for three ideas:
代表了三個想法:
娛樂(Entertainment),
as a professional comedian.
that fine line between being charming
to generate the amount of charm I needed
去生產出我所需的迷人魅力,
are filled with stories:
總是充滿故事:
my coming out story,
for being not only a woman
就因為我不只是女性,
and a masculine-of-center woman.
男性化的女性。
check the comments out below
看看下面的評論,
where I shift into second gear,
about everything I've just said.
和我剛才說的一切都有關。
was the loving matriarch
慈愛大家庭中的慈愛長輩。
the connection already,
我是那個家庭中的一員。
to say goodbye to my grandma
過世的那一天跟她說再見。
cocooned within herself by then,
將自己的意識與外界分離開來了,
in a long time,
to write to my grandma
大學時給祖母寫的信,
stories and anecdotes
而被我潤色的故事。
as I tried to carve my tiny little life
開出一塊立足之地。
comfort in those letters,
找到的那些慰藉,
with my grandma in mind.
more and more overwhelming
got worse, not better,
that Grandma would want to read about.
祖母想要知道的那種生活。
if I had a boyfriend.
a conscious decision in that moment
有意識地做了一個決定,
was drawing to an end,
她的人生正在畫上句點,
the ways we were different.
the ways were we connected.
like the right decision.
to my grandmother's life
目睹著我祖母的生命漸漸消逝,
I'd made a mistake
part of my life.
很重要的一部分與她分享。
I'd missed my opportunity,
I had to deal with too many onions
必須要處理太多洋蔥,
where homosexuality was illegal.
不合法的州成長為一個同性戀。
I could see how tightly wrapped
藤蔓給緊緊地束縛住。
internalized shame I was.
about all my traumas:
我想起了我所有的創傷:
kept popping into my mind
不斷在我腦海中跳出來,
I felt the most akin to my grandmother.
我覺得我和祖母最相似,
traits in common.
most akin to in the world
和我最相似的人,
a great-grandmother,
曾祖母、曾曾祖母。
of my branch of the family tree.
這顆大樹的分枝末端。
I was still connected to the trunk.
我仍然和主幹連接在一起。
was the most intensely creative
at an end, my thoughts gather
我會看見我的想法。
我的腦袋也不是
of sensibly collected think pieces.
language of hieroglyphics
快速理解和深刻思考,
and think deeply with.
or even haberdash,
雕塑,或甚至縫紉,
process of translation,
like I said, I'm not great at it.
就像我先前說的,我不擅長。
like an inadequate freeze-frame
than I've ever been able to communicate.
sort my life out like a normal person
正常人一樣理清我的生活,
like a normal person,
一樣理清我的生活,
I still don't struggle.
我在掙扎什麼,
what my struggle is,
of normal is not it.
of the storm as best I can.
us spectrum types find our calm --
冷靜的常見方式——
and obsessive thinking --
強迫的執念——
into the eye of the storm:
I'm neurodivergent, yes,
來證明我有神經多樣性,是的,
that scares the hell out of most people.
會讓大部分人緊張得要死的事情。
內在幾乎跟死了一樣。
on which to hang bits of me
自己掛在上面,
相容之處,有段時間,
with a newfound confidence
自信還讓我頭昏眼花。
that confidence took a dive,
那種信心沉入了海底,
and always had been.
我的孤立有多麼深刻。
and PTSD have so much in common.
that the way out of trauma
要走出創傷的方式,
of my traumas.
but the onions still stung.
但洋蔥仍然很刺鼻。
my stories for laughs.
一直是為了搏君一笑。
cutting away the pain
修剪掉,把痛苦除去,
for the comfort of my audience.
來安慰我的觀眾。
other people through laughs,
the literal, visceral pain of my trauma.
真實、自內心深處的痛苦。
would be through a comedy show.
做法就是用即興喜劇表演。
that did not respect the punchline,
and trusted to pull their punches
會在那些點睛之處
我讓重擊躍過了那條線,
我觀眾的五臟六腑。
才會傾聽我的故事,
and hold my pain
as a mindless, laughing mob.
而不是無腦大笑的大眾。
and I called that show "Nanette."
這部作品叫做《娜內特》。
is definitely not a comedy show,
絕對不是喜劇,
I broke comedy.
我用它們來打破喜劇。
so I could rebuild it and reshape it,
讓我可以重建它、重塑它、
that could better hold everything
when I said I quit comedy.
where you're going, "Yeah, cool,
「好啊,很酷,
(一般是說:很高興你們問了。)
who have already identified three ideas.
很聰明的一群觀眾,
that I don't have three ideas.
因為我沒有三個想法。
and that was a lie.
三個想法,那是我說謊。
I'm very funny.
whole handfuls of my ideas as seeds,
一樣,整把抓起來,
all throughout my talk.
my grandma always used to say.
it's the gardening that counts."
而是從事園藝。」
the truth to that truism.
那自明之理的真相。
the contract of comedy
in all its truth and pain
into the margins of both life and art.
人生和藝術的邊緣。
that cost in order to tell my truth.
付出代價來說出我的真相。
It pulled me closer.
它把我拉近了。
I found connection.
我找到了連結。
of that contradiction
做我不擅長的事」
at something I am so bad at.
我要和人談話都有困難,
makes it difficult for me to think,
讓我很難將思考、
把我的思考準備好了。
with my audience.
taught me anything,
有讓我學到什麼,
not just on me.
in a whole world of other minds,
在全世界其他人的腦中,
bigger than me,
is so much bigger than all of us.
比我們所有人都還要大很多。
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Hannah Gadsby - Serious comedianHannah Gadsby skewers the straight world's dismissal and outright hostility toward the LGBTQ community in her stand-up sets, stage performances and television shows.
Why you should listen
How would Hannah Gadsby describe herself to a teenager at a dinner party? "I am a stand-up comedian from Tasmania. Courtesy of my Netflix special, Nanette, released last year, I have found some rather sudden fame, and I am deeply uncomfortable with so much positive attention. Prior to said special, I had spent a decade or so quietly working my way round the live stand-up circuit in Australia and the UK and had thought of my career as a reasonably successful situation. I am yet to recalibrate my definition of success since the event known as 'said special.'
"I am on the spectrum. I have two dogs whom I love deeply. I enjoy gardening. And I am so sorry you are sitting next to me, teenager."
Gadsby is also on the cast of Please Like Me on Hulu.
Hannah Gadsby | Speaker | TED.com