Sakena Yacoobi: How I stopped the Taliban from shutting down my school
莎肯娜‧雅庫比: 我怎樣阻止塔利班關閉我的學校
At the Afghan Institute of Learning, Sakena Yacoobi provides teacher training to Afghan women, supporting education for girls and boys throughout the country. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
In the Name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful.
以防受詛咒的惡魔干擾。
奉至仁至慈的真主之名。(阿拉伯文)
in a middle class family.
when he lost his father,
a boy or a girl:
what I went through.
finished my high school,
to help women and children.
there wasn't a dormitory for girls,
but I could not go there.
但是我不能去念。
sent me to America.
我父親只好送我到美國。
I was completing my education,
with my family or with my country.
我家或我的祖國情況如何。
I didn't know about it.
when I listened to the news,
going on with my country,
I could not go there,
to the refugee camp in Pakistan,
were women and children.
or they were in war.
或還在打仗。
你永遠無法想像的情況。
有五到八歲小孩的寡婦
have no way to go anywhere,
no place to even live.
甚至沒地方住。
their father and their home,
as a 10-to-12-year old boy --
還只是個 10 到 12 歲的男孩,
and their mother and their children.
母親及小孩。
現在我們在這裡談動力——
what can I do for these people?
我該為這些人做什麼?
What can I do for them?
我能為他們做些什麼?
It gave me a career.
is education and health,
是教育及健康,
was banned for girls, completely.
女生完全不准受教育。
"I want to do this."
「我想做這個。」
the trust in this community.
在這個社區建立信任關係。
這裡看看那裡看看。
I can be a teacher?"
"I will make you a teacher."
「我會讓你當老師。」
in his compound,
在他的營地開課,
we were giving teacher training.
我們要培訓老師。
human rights, democracy, rule of law.
民主及法治。
in Peshawar, Pakistan.
柏夏瓦的辦公室裡。
running to rooms and locking the doors
在房內東奔西跑、關門鎖門,
你會怎麼做?
you have to hold it together.
and show strength.
into my office.
nine of them -- nine Taliban.
九個塔利班。
you can ever see.
to have a seat and have tea.
going to drink tea.
of voice they were using,
you know how I dress --
你知道我的穿著,
穿著黑色的希賈布。
就是我的眼睛。
is banned for girls?
Where is the school?"
"You are teaching girls here."
「妳在這裡教女學生。」
Koran, Holy Book.
if you learn the Holy Book, the woman,
如果你學經上的話語,女人,
and you know --
你也知道——
they started speaking Pashto.
說起阿富汗普什圖語。
leave her alone, she's OK."
「走吧!不要管她,她沒問題。」
I offered them tea again,
poured into my office.
我的職員都衝進我的辦公室。
為什麼這些人沒殺了我。
they didn't take me away.
為什麼這些人沒把我抓走。
還能看到我。
to be alive, of course.
當然我也很開心自己還活著,
training during the fall of the Taliban --
垮台期間不斷給予訓練——
there is another story.
還有另一個故事。
education for 80 schoolgirls,
提供教育給 80 個女學童,
and continuously we trained.
持續訓練了三千名學生。
we went into the country,
我們進入阿富汗,
that you can imagine.
with the outcome of my work.
我很高興看到自己工作的成果。
and one bodyguard,
我與四名訓練人員及一名保鏢
they blocked the road.
把路擋著。
"We have nothing to do with you."
「這裡沒你的事。」
They said, "We want her."
他們說:「我們要找她。」
"I can answer you.
「我可以回答你們的問題。
然後他們叫我的名字。
are yelling and screaming inside the car.
車上的婦女都開始大喊尖叫,
and I told myself, this is it.
我對自己說,這次真的完了。
and you take strength
and whatever you do.
你所做的一切支取力量。
and you can walk on it.
你能為之作見證。
on the side of the car.
試著鎮定自己。
opportunity to have a job.
"I don't know."
我說:「我不知道。」
we just hold the gun and kill.
They said, "We'll let you go, go."
「我們會放妳走。走吧!」
I sit in the car,
"Turn around and go back to the office."
「掉頭回辦公室。」
were supporting girls.
沒有人待在那裡。
going on up north already.
coming to get training.
all of a sudden, at this moment,
突然——
called me about a report.
打電話給我討論一份報告。
And I answered her.
我回了她。
What's wrong with you?"
she didn't believe me,
you go next time, and you will help them.
「好,下次妳去,妳去幫助他們。
I went the same route,
我又走在同樣一條路上,
他們不在原來的地方,
and holding the rifle
站在那裡荷著來福槍,
that whatever I say, you accept it."
無論我說什麼你們都要聽。」
in the mountain areas,
They are ahead, and we go.
他們走在前面,我們跟著。
transforms people.
but forget about the men,
但忘了男人,
who are giving women the hardest time.
找最多麻煩的人。
because the men should know
因為男人應該知道
can do the same job they are doing.
跟男人做同樣的事。
training to men,
that was a beautiful country.
原本是個美麗的國家。
我的國家發生了什麼。
out of their door without security issues.
在戶外安全無虞的走路。
Afghanistan we had before.
are working very, very hard.
非常非常努力工作。
They are training to be lawyers.
她們受訓練成為律師。
doctors, back again.
像以前一樣。
reach their complete potential,
像那樣完全發揮潛能,
you can conquer the world.
can do it in any part of the world.
世界的任何一個角落做到。
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Sakena Yacoobi - Education activistAt the Afghan Institute of Learning, Sakena Yacoobi provides teacher training to Afghan women, supporting education for girls and boys throughout the country.
Why you should listen
Sakena Yacoobi is executive director of the Afghan Institute of Learning (AIL), an Afghan women-led NGO she founded in 1995. After the Taliban closed girls’ schools in the 1990s, AIL supported 80 underground home schools for 3,000 girls in Afghanistan. Now, under Yacoobi’s leadership, AIL works at the grassroots level to empower women and bring education and health services to poor women and girls in rural and urban areas, serving hundreds of thousands of women and children a year through its training programs, Learning Centers, schools and clinics in both Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Yacoobi is the founder of the Afghan Institute of Learning, the Professor Sakena Yacoobi Private Hospital in Herat, the Professor Sakena Yacoobi Private High Schools in Kabul and the radio station Meraj in her hometown of Herat, Afghanistan.
Sakena Yacoobi | Speaker | TED.com