Magda Sayeg: How yarn bombing grew into a worldwide movement
Magda Sayeg: 毛线轰炸如何成长为世界性的活动
Magda Sayeg uses handmade, eye-catching yarn bombs to shake up the way we see the world and make us notice things we hadn't seen before. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
the yarn bombing movement.
而为人熟知。
knitted or crocheted material
当你将针织或钩编所用的材料
graffiti-style --
ambitious notions about it,
warm and fuzzy and human-like
毛绒的,更人性的
that I looked at everyday.
would change the course of my life.
会改变我的生活轨道。
"What else could I do?"
“我还能做些什么呢?”
that would get the same reaction?
pole near my house.
我家附近停车指示牌的杆子。
and take pictures next to it,
in the neighborhood.
都包裹起来。
the stronger the reaction.
人们的反应就越强烈。
was my playground.
of enhancing the ordinary,
or its functionality
suit out of knitting.
to take inanimate objects
I wanted to take it seriously.
this take over my life,
会让它主宰我的生活,
reacting so strongly to it.
如此强烈的回应。
fast-paced, digital world,
快节奏,数字化的世界,
something that's relatable.
疗伤治愈系的东西。
cities that we live in,
about that stuff anymore.
that's wrapped in knitting
I love to share with others.
and the stop sign poles
and large-scale and insurmountable?
in my heart for this one.
留有柔软的位置。
were recognizing my work
that was large-scale,
city bus to be wrapped in knitting.
but I certainly don't own it anymore.
但很明显那活动已不属于我。
were doing this.
都在做这样的活动。
to certain parts of the world
我去了世界一些地方旅行
and I knew I didn't wrap it.
我知道不是我把它包裹起来的。
my own goals with my art --
the hidden power of this craft
工艺作品的潜在能量
I had with the rest of the world.
这样的通用语言。
我从未想过可能有关系的人群
I'd have a connection with.
in the most unassuming places,
最谦逊平凡的地方
that are just waiting to be discovered.
these tools that are connected to us,
这双与我们连接在一起的工具,
we hold a controller or a cell phone.
我们握着遥控器或是手机。
if you put those things down?
会发生什么?
What would you create with your own hands?
你会用你的双手创造些什么?
that I am a master knitter
我是技艺精湛的编织大师
a sweater to save my life.
为自己织一件毛衣来御寒。
interesting with knitting
做了一些有趣的事情
formally trained to do this --
this was in the cards for me,
stumble upon this.
I held on tight,
我将它紧紧握住,
that I am a working artist today.
今天我是艺术家。
might not be so seamless.
be as bored as I was
和我一样感到疲倦
to change your world forever.
就此改变你们的世界
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Magda Sayeg - Textile artistMagda Sayeg uses handmade, eye-catching yarn bombs to shake up the way we see the world and make us notice things we hadn't seen before.
Why you should listen
Considered to be the mother of yarn bombing, Magda Sayeg’s 10-year body of work includes the widely recognized knitted/crocheted covered bus in Mexico City as well as her first solo exhibit in Rome at La Museo des Esposizione. Her work has evolved to include large scale installations around the world including commissions and collaborations with companies such as Commes Des Garçons, CR Fashionbook, Absolut Vodka, Insight 51, Mini Cooper, Gap, Smart Car. She continues to participate in shows such as Milan's Triennale Design Museum, Le M.U.R. in Paris and the National Gallery of Australia, among others. Her installations have also been featured prominently at American monuments to contemporary culture, such as The Standard Hotel, South By Southwest and the Austin City Limits Festival.
Magda has most recently expanded her artwork to encompass new mediums and techniques as with her solo show in Rome, which explored the usage of lighting with knitted material. She continues to expand her boundaries by joining integrated media company 1stAveMachine as one of their directors which will serve as a platform for new types of experimentation and collaboration.
Recent projects include an installation for Dover Street Market in NYC covering a column spanning 6 floors and a knitted/crocheted Route Master Double Decker bus in London.
Magda Sayeg | Speaker | TED.com