Nora McInerny: We don't "move on" from grief. We move forward with it
诺拉·麦克乐倪: 我们不背弃痛苦前进,而是带着痛苦前进
Nora McInerny makes a living talking to people about life's hardest moments. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
是意义重大的一年。
而且特别高产的一年?
我是这样过的:
二胎流产
我的父亲死于癌症,
my husband Aaron died
也过世了。
with stage-four glioblastoma,
母细胞瘤的三年后。
for brain cancer.
about this period of my life,
it's going to happen to you.
也会发生在你们身上。
不会和我完全一样,
in this specific order or at this speed,
that I have seen will stun you:
肯定会吓你一跳:
a 100 percent chance of dying.
都有100%的几率会死去。
to talk about death and loss,
变成了我的职业,
because it's pretty easy to recap,
因为这很容易引起共鸣——
that other people have experienced.
是个非常好的商机。
and I wish I made more money, but ...
(比这)更多,不过嘛……
I started a little nonprofit.
也开始了一些非盈利活动。
with the uncomfortable,
especially if it's someone else's grief.
这种感觉更甚。
that I started with my friend Moe,
我的朋友摩尔一起创立了一个社团,
‘性感年轻寡妇俱乐部’。
your husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend,
人是你的丈夫、妻子,
不管你有没有结婚过,
are just going to look around
of friends of friends
帮你寻找(伴侣),
who's gone through something similar,
towards each other
and not get your sad on other people.
避免把难过散播到身边其他人身上。
married, partnered,
已婚人士或者是有伴侣的人,
aren't ready or willing to hear yet.
还没做好准备去聆听的事情。
about sex, is that normal?"
以后的性生活怎么办,这正常吗?”
of the Property Brothers?"
其中一个人呢?那也正常吗?”
老夫老妻在街上手牵手,”
and I see old people holding hands,
been together for decades,
through together,
共同经历过的所有事情,
over who should take out the trash ...
应该去丢垃圾而引发的小争执...
只有满满的愤怒。
that we have in the group
the world that is grief-adjacent
的悲痛都是邻近的,
的谈论中受益良多。
of unscientific studies,
感兴趣/擅长,
The Hot Young Widows Club
问里面的成员:
when your person died?" They did.
什么时候过世吗?”他们记得。
people said to you?"
他们对你说过的话吗?”
是你们最讨厌的呢?”
people say a lot of things,
所有人都发表了自己的看法,
a very handsome man named Matthew,
in our blended family,
of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
明尼阿波里斯市,
and I don't even touch them.
可以把车门打开的那种小卡车。
生活是美好的。
I've never once said it that way.
”尺度“这个字,一次都不曾。
anyone else say it that way.
用这个发音去说过这个单词。
本该如此发音的一样,
language is trash, so ...
很”垃圾“,所以...
who, like, speaks it
that makes sense -- good job.
really good, but I haven't "moved on."
很美好,但我并未真正“放下”。
and I hate that phrase so much,
并且非常讨厌“放下”这个词汇。
和我一样也不喜欢这个词汇。
就好像是在说
and love are just moments
之间的爱都只是一瞬间的事情,
把这段关系抛诸脑后,
and that I probably should.
I slip so easily into the present tense,
顺其自然地就使用了现在时语法,
that made we weird.
在外人眼中很奇怪。
大多都和我一样。
or because we're forgetful,
的死亡,或者是忘了他们死亡的事实
we love, who we've lost,
“哦,艾伦还在干嘛干嘛”
还是存在的。
that he was before,
people try to tell me that he would be.
他还是存在在我的生命中的。
他作为故事的主角存在着,
他作为一个父亲存在着,
来说他也是存在的,
who share none of his DNA,
也没有见过艾伦本人,
because I had Aaron
他们才能够走进我的人生
才有机会碰到他们。
他的爱和死亡教会我的事
that Matthew wanted to marry.
死亡的伤痛后继续前进,
带着他和我们的回忆继续生活。
in his favorite river in Minnesota,
他最喜欢的河里面,在明尼苏达州。
都倒进河里面之后,
you fit into a plastic bag --
把骨灰装进一个袋子里面,
一些剩余的骨灰。
stuck to my fingers.
in the water and rinsed them,
放进河里冲洗干净,但我没有,
的骨灰舔干净,
than I had already lost,
再失去任何有关他的东西,
that he would always be a part of me.
他永远会是我生命中的一部分
fill himself with poison for three years,
不断地尝试各种药物,
a little bit longer with you,
再撑久一点,再活久一点,
和你待在一起。
person he was the night you met
的那个健康的男人变得虚弱,
但依旧和你在一起。
who isn't even two years old yet,
on the last day of his life,
in a few hours,
几个小时内即将发生的事情
就这样,再见。”
脑海里的记忆,伴你终身。
finally, like really fall in love
真正地爱上了一个
I've been wrong this entire time.
我一直以来都错了。”
or a reality show -- it's so quiet,
那么轰轰烈烈——它是安静的,
that connects the two of us
绳子,紧紧地连接我们两人。
even when he's gone."
就算在他死去以后,
freezing and he's so warm,
而他的手总是热的,
硬塞进他的衣服里,
and shove them up his shirt ...
他温热的身体上。
I laid in bed with Aaron
躺在同一张床上
if my hands were cold,
我的手到底是不是冰冷的,
I would ever do that.
一次能够做出那个动作。
is always going to be sad.
便注定是悲伤的。
一幅全息图的时候,还是会难过。
and I'm just a hologram.
is always going to make me laugh.
想起来时总会令我开心地笑。
生活中留下了空白才发生的,
with all of these other emotions.
的情绪里同时发生的。
among the people who love me,
关心我的人宽慰地松了口气
we can all go home.
我们也可以放心了。
is so appealing even to me,
而言是极具感染力的,
I had gotten that, too, but I didn't.
一个幸福完美的结局,但我没有
I love you, honey --
我爱你,亲爱的(篇章)
it was like an alternate universe,
在面对两个不断交替的世界,
own adventure" books from the '80s
“选择你自己的人生”的那种情节
"Would you like to think about Aaron?
“你会不会想起艾伦?”
在一起 ,而我也的确还会想起他
just get in there," and I did.
those two plots were unfurling at once,
就同时在我眼前展开,
really helped me realize the enormity
而失去的那些东西
that my love for Aaron
意识到自己对艾伦的爱
are not opposing forces.
对艾伦的爱不是对立的。
怎么形容我呢?
they were like ... frankly.
all around the world,
and traumatic losses every day.
他们痛苦而影响重大的失去。
that's ever happened to them.
最糟心的事情。
of someone they love,
几个星期前,几年前,
years ago, even decades ago.
失去一些所爱的人的经历。
爱人的阴影里走不出来,
around this loss
负面情绪走不出去。
have kept spinning.
他们的世界不停转动,
a total stranger,
一个陌生人敞开心扉,
just as much as the joyful ones.
在我们身上留下塑造我们的痕迹,
或是最后一道热菜之后
at the people around us
and tell them to "move on," do we?
告诉他们放下一切,不是吗?
"Congratulations on your beautiful baby,"
喜获贵子的贺卡之后,
去帮他孩子庆祝生日。
"Another birthday party? Get over it."
or watching "The Wire" on HBO,
在HBO电视台看了”THE WIRE“,
until you get it, until you do it.
永远都不能够理解那种感受。
只要那是你的爱人或孩子,
once it's your love or your baby,
and your front row at the funeral,
或者去世的是你的亲人时,
is not a moment in time,
不是一朝一夕的事情,
by something chronic.
grief feels like it could be.
快要死掉,但这种情绪并不致命。
都是无法避免的,
to remind one another
我们还能做什么?
you'll be grieving, and able to love
你会痛苦,然后拥有爱人的能力,
甚至同一个瞬间。
is going to laugh again and smile again.
最终还是会继续展开笑颜。
they'll even find love again.
甚至可以再次遇见爱情。
they're going to move forward.
that they've moved on.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Nora McInerny - Author, podcast hostNora McInerny makes a living talking to people about life's hardest moments.
Why you should listen
Nora McInerny speaks from experience and empathy, having lost her second baby, her father and her husband over the course of six weeks at age 31. She is the best-selling author of the memoir It’s Okay To Laugh, Crying Is Cool Too, the host of the award-winning podcast "Terrible, Thanks for Asking" and the founder of the nonprofit Still Kickin. She contributes words to Elle, Cosmopolitan, Buzzfeed, Time, Slate and Vox, where she's often tapped for her essays highlighting the emotional landscape and humor in complex topics, like the financial impacts of healthcare and grief in a digital age.
McInerny is a master storyteller known for her dedication to bringing heart and levity to the difficult and uncomfortable conversations most of us try to avoid, and also for being very tall. She was voted "Most Humorous" by the Annunciation Catholic School Class of 1998.
Nora McInerny | Speaker | TED.com