Nora McInerny: We don't "move on" from grief. We move forward with it
諾拉.馬金拿尼: 不用脫離悲傷「走下去」,我們帶著它向前走。
Nora McInerny makes a living talking to people about life's hardest moments. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
my husband Aaron died
我先生艾倫過世了,
with stage-four glioblastoma,
第四期膠質母細胞瘤,
for brain cancer.
about this period of my life,
我人生中的這段時期時,
it's going to happen to you.
你們也會遇到這種事。
in this specific order or at this speed,
不是依照這個順序或這種速度,
that I have seen will stun you:
a 100 percent chance of dying.
死掉的機率都是 100%。
to talk about death and loss,
變成我的職業,
because it's pretty easy to recap,
因為幾句話就講完了,
that other people have experienced.
我希望能賺更多錢,但……
and I wish I made more money, but ...
I started a little nonprofit.
with the uncomfortable,
不舒服的事情感到舒服些,
especially if it's someone else's grief.
特別是別人的悲傷。
that I started with my friend Moe,
就是和我的朋友莫成立一個團體,
年輕辣寡婦俱樂部。
your husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend,
你的丈夫、妻子、女友、男友,
are just going to look around
of friends of friends
朋友的朋友去問,
who's gone through something similar,
towards each other
and not get your sad on other people.
不要把你們的悲傷帶給其他人。
married, partnered,
異性戀、已婚者、同居者
aren't ready or willing to hear yet.
準備好要聽或不願意聽的話。
about sex, is that normal?"
無法停止,這正常嗎?」
of the Property Brothers?"
《房產兄弟》之一呢?」
and I see old people holding hands,
看到老人家手牽手,
been together for decades,
數十年的夫妻,
through together,
over who should take out the trash ...
that we have in the group
the world that is grief-adjacent
of unscientific studies,
非科學性的研究,
The Hot Young Widows Club
去年輕辣寡婦俱樂部,
when your person died?" They did.
記得你們另一半過世的時候嗎?」
people said to you?"
people say a lot of things,
許多答案,大家說了很多,
a very handsome man named Matthew,
非常帥的男人,馬修,
in our blended family,
我們有四個孩子,
of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
明尼亞波里斯的郊區。
and I don't even touch them.
門就會自己打開的車。
我的生活都算很好。
I've never once said it that way.
(怪異發音),一次都沒有。
anyone else say it that way.
language is trash, so ...
who, like, speaks it
that makes sense -- good job.
還會說英文——幹得好。
really good, but I haven't "moved on."
我的生活都真的很好,
and I hate that phrase so much,
我好討厭「走下去」這個說法,
and love are just moments
都只是一些時刻,
and that I probably should.
且我也應該這麼做。
I slip so easily into the present tense,
不小心就用現在式,
that made we weird.
or because we're forgetful,
或是我們很健忘,
we love, who we've lost,
艾倫是(現在式)……」
that he was before,
people try to tell me that he would be.
他將來會存在的方式也不一樣。
who share none of his DNA,
沒有他的 DNA,
because I had Aaron
that Matthew wanted to marry.
in his favorite river in Minnesota,
明尼蘇達他最喜歡的河裡,
you fit into a plastic bag --
你就能裝進一個塑膠袋裡——
stuck to my fingers.
in the water and rinsed them,
放到水中沖洗,
than I had already lost,
失去的之外,我還會失去更多,
that he would always be a part of me.
他將永遠是我的一部分。
fill himself with poison for three years,
灌毒藥灌了三年,
a little bit longer with you,
person he was the night you met
who isn't even two years old yet,
on the last day of his life,
in a few hours,
finally, like really fall in love
真正的愛上他,
I've been wrong this entire time.
「天啊!我長久來都錯了。
or a reality show -- it's so quiet,
它是那麼的安靜。
that connects the two of us
牽繫著我們兩人,
even when he's gone."
就算他走了,還是一樣。」
freezing and he's so warm,
and shove them up his shirt ...
I laid in bed with Aaron
if my hands were cold,
I would ever do that.
is always going to be sad.
變成 3D 全像時,還是一樣。
and I'm just a hologram.
is always going to make me laugh.
總是讓我開心大笑。
with all of these other emotions.
among the people who love me,
we can all go home.
我們可以放心了。
is so appealing even to me,
I had gotten that, too, but I didn't.
那個幸福結局,但並不是。
I love you, honey --
it was like an alternate universe,
感覺像是身在平行宇宙中,
own adventure" books from the '80s
那種 80 年代流行的書裡,
"Would you like to think about Aaron?
「你要不要想想艾倫?」
just get in there," and I did.
those two plots were unfurling at once,
同時在我眼前展開,
really helped me realize the enormity
that my love for Aaron
are not opposing forces.
they were like ... frankly.
all around the world,
and traumatic losses every day.
失去所刻畫出難以磨滅的傷痕。
that's ever happened to them.
of someone they love,
years ago, even decades ago.
幾年前,甚至幾十年前。
around this loss
have kept spinning.
就算傷痛還一直跟著他們。
a total stranger,
just as much as the joyful ones.
都在塑造我們,
或親友送來最後一份安慰的菜餚後,
at the people around us
生活的快樂和驚喜時,
and tell them to "move on," do we?
「你要走下去。」不是嗎?
"Congratulations on your beautiful baby,"
"Another birthday party? Get over it."
「又要生日趴,該走下去了吧!」
or watching "The Wire" on HBO,
或看 HBO 的《 火線重案組 》,
until you get it, until you do it.
once it's your love or your baby,
只要你愛了、生了小孩,
and your front row at the funeral,
是你失去所愛的人時,
is not a moment in time,
不只是事情發生的那一刻,
by something chronic.
grief feels like it could be.
但還是會讓我們感覺快要死掉。
to remind one another
you'll be grieving, and able to love
在哀慟時,你還能夠去愛,
甚至同一瞬間內發生。
is going to laugh again and smile again.
一個哀傷的人會再度展開笑顏,
they'll even find love again.
甚至可以再次遇見愛情。
they're going to move forward.
that they've moved on.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Nora McInerny - Author, podcast hostNora McInerny makes a living talking to people about life's hardest moments.
Why you should listen
Nora McInerny speaks from experience and empathy, having lost her second baby, her father and her husband over the course of six weeks at age 31. She is the best-selling author of the memoir It’s Okay To Laugh, Crying Is Cool Too, the host of the award-winning podcast "Terrible, Thanks for Asking" and the founder of the nonprofit Still Kickin. She contributes words to Elle, Cosmopolitan, Buzzfeed, Time, Slate and Vox, where she's often tapped for her essays highlighting the emotional landscape and humor in complex topics, like the financial impacts of healthcare and grief in a digital age.
McInerny is a master storyteller known for her dedication to bringing heart and levity to the difficult and uncomfortable conversations most of us try to avoid, and also for being very tall. She was voted "Most Humorous" by the Annunciation Catholic School Class of 1998.
Nora McInerny | Speaker | TED.com