Michele L. Sullivan: Asking for help is a strength, not a weakness
米歇爾.蘇利文: 懂得尋求幫助是一種能力,而不是一個弱點
Michele L. Sullivan is known for her sustainable and collaborative approach to philanthropic investing. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
that we remember so vividly.
記憶深刻的里程碑式的事件。
was when I was entering kindergarten.
發生在我進幼稚園的時候。
and by golly, it was my time.
哇,現在終於輪到我了。
with a warm welcome,
然後她熱烈地歡迎我,
little cubbyholes, don't we --
和小朋友們玩一會兒,
until class starts."
and plopped down like I owned the place,
就像是我的地盤一樣,
with blue shorts.
I didn't think he was talking to me.
壓根沒想到他是在和我説話。
Let's just play. We're happy.
就一起玩嘛,大家都很開心呀。
and about a minute later,
坐在他旁邊的一個女孩,
in a white shirt and a pink skirt,
why do you look so different?"
Again, let's just play."
我們就一起玩吧。」
all around the circle I was in,
and they were all looking at me.
it would be "OMG" or "WTF."
「我的媽呀」或者「什麼鬼」。
that I went in with that morning
before I went home,
outside of the circle.
每一聲嘲笑,
like nobody could see me.
就像沒人能看見我一樣。
another child's curiosity,
that the real world was not built
不管是形體上還是心理上。
both literally or figuratively.
as you can probably tell,
我沒辦法掩飾我的弱點,
through our lifetime.
比如我的挑戰。
with a mental illness,
正受精神疾病的困擾,
with their gender identity,
or what I go through.
或者每天會經歷些什麼。
walk in someone else's shoes,
從別人的立場看問題,
a new way of giving of ourselves.
到底自己該怎麼做。
what it's like to be you
不知道成為你是什麽感覺,
what it's like to be me.
成為我是什麼感覺。
or chase your dreams,
或為你追逐你的夢想,
in each other's shoes,
of giving of ourselves.
different than most people,
和大家不一樣的事情,
I was on equal footing with,
理應被平等對待,
I excelled in the classroom.
I discovered as I grew older
to do a physical job.
of everyone for employment,
an advanced university degree,
What am I going to wear?
你會想面試要穿什麼?
who I've known all my life
朋友打電話給我說:
the building you're going in has steps."
那座大廈有樓梯。」
about how am I going to get there?
我該怎麼去到面試的地方?
找到了一個卸貨升降臺,
and got in and had a great interview.
並且面試得還不錯。
怎麼進去的,不過沒關係。
for the day and that's OK.
challenge that day was the interview,
最大的挑戰是那場面試,
without getting run over.
而不會被撞倒。
in certain situations:
然後靈活調整行動。
I travel quite a bit.
需要我頻繁地出差。
for all of us these days.
來説都是一個挑戰。
run through security, get to the gate.
通過安檢,到達登機門。
Did I get my upgrade?
還是靠窗位置?我能不能升等?
I don't run through anything.
運輸安全管理局的檢測,
the personal patdown.
that my parents said I was born with,
我父母說我天生如此,
"By the way, my scooter weighs this much,
「順帶一提,我的助步車大概這麼重。
to the door of the plane."
the city where I'm traveling to
打電話給我將要去的城市。
in case mine gets broken on the way.
以防我這輛半路壞掉。
it's a little bit different.
往往有不一樣的考慮和擔憂。
to put my bag up, and they graciously do.
她們總是願意無私地幫助我。
get up and walk on the plane,
機艙内走動去洗手間,
it knocked and I answered.
於是我不得不做點什麼。
I can't reach the lock."
我夠不著鎖。」
and the door flies open.
門忽然被打開了。
that he was sitting right across from me,
我發現他就坐我對面。
as much as I am?"
記住剛才那一幕吧?」
not talking about it publicly, I am.
公開談論這件事情。
our families, sports, work,
家庭,喜歡的運動,工作等等
someone put your bag up.
with that embarrassment,
及我們各自看問題的視角。
in certain ways.
坐在一個小椅子上。
I start to talk to the agent.
愛説話的技能,和地勤搭話。
about their culture and so forth,
他們文化一類的問題,
getting up the steps."
while we waited for the flight,
我們都待在一起,
for both of us that day.
都發生了改變。
and wished me well,
to remember that experience more
and there was a bit of hesitation.
my friends, my colleagues
that we all have a support system.
有一個互相支持與幫助的體系。
of other people's support systems.
用這樣的方式回饋他人。
in our own successes,
扮演著重要的角色,
in other people's successes,
別人的人生裡扮演怎樣的角色,
every single day.
that we help each other,
placing people in silos
that you cannot see.
你看不到的東西打交道。
those experiences together
I mentioned earlier in my stories.
就好比只有你瞭解自己。
courage and understanding,
所看見的東西判斷事物,
on only what you can see.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Michele L. Sullivan - Social innovatorMichele L. Sullivan is known for her sustainable and collaborative approach to philanthropic investing.
Why you should listen
Michele L. Sullivan has held various globally influential leadership positions at Caterpillar during her 29-year career. She currently is Caterpillar's Director of Corporate Social Innovation and President of the Caterpillar Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Caterpillar Inc.
Throughout Sullivan's career, she has dramatically grown the reach, influence and impact of each role. Her time with the Caterpillar Foundation is no different. She has taken the Caterpillar Foundation from a transactional Foundation into a global and strategic Foundation. She has moved the Foundation from Corporate Social Responsibility into Corporate Social Innovation. This strategy places the human need first, not as an afterthought of profit. Sullivan is well known for her global expertise and sustainable and collaborative approach to philanthropic investing.
Sullivan strongly believes monumental and sustainable change in our largest global challenges can only happen through partnerships and collaboration between public, private and non-profit entities. This strategy resulted in the Caterpillar Foundation's transformation into one of the most influential corporate foundations and, ultimately, the launch of the Foundation's collaborative impact platform, Together.Stronger.
Determination and resilience have been present throughout Sullivan;s life. She endured many years of orthopedic surgeries and other challenges. She provided leadership starting in the Little Prairie Chapter of Little People of America as a teenager. She was named by Inside Philanthropy as one of the 50 most powerful women in philanthropy and she served as a US delegate to the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women. She is a member of the ONE board of directors and chairs the Greater Peoria Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) Advisory Board. She earned her MBA from Bradley University, and she is the first woman to be President of the Caterpillar Foundation.
Michele L. Sullivan | Speaker | TED.com