Lidia Yuknavitch: The beauty of being a misfit
利迪娅·余科纳维奇: 不适者如何呐喊自己的心声
In her acclaimed novels and memoir, author Lidia Yuknavitch navigates the intersection of tragedy and violence to draw new roadmaps for self-discovery. Full bio
Double-click the English transcript below to play the video.
of things that are big,
about something very small.
because it's so literal.
因为简单明了
who sort of missed fitting in.
misfits in the room,
屋子里的不适者站在这里,
came right to my doorstep.
I'd won a giant literary prize
信上说我写的小说
as a competitive swimmer
一名历经糟糕的家庭生活的
and loss can make you insane.
悲痛和困惑如何让人抓狂的情节。
to meet big-time editors and agents
去纽约和知名的编辑、代理
writer's dream, right?
the letter came to my house?
for an entire day,
I'd already screwed my life up.
把我的生活毁了的各种方式。
failed marriages underneath my belt.
经历了两次婚姻的大失败。
not once but twice
that I'm not going to tell you about.
我不会告诉你们的。
of rehab for drug use.
staycations in jail.
I think, I was a misfit,
我是一个不适者。
the day she was born,
how to live with that story yet.
I also spent a long time homeless,
of zombie grief and loss
也许所有人都会遇到。
are some of our most heroic misfits,
我们中最可怕的不适者,
就成为了我这样的人。
to just about every category out there:
作为妈妈,作为学者。
sad stone in my throat.
that I got on that plane
就登上了飞机,
see your heads glowing.
我几乎可以看到你们头上的光芒。
famous writers you wanted to meet,
and found them for you.
late in the night
出色,聪明,华丽的人喝
and smart and swank, too.
of editors and authors and agents
I stole three linen napkins --
so that when I got home,
还能看到一些我带回来的纪念品
happened to me.
and Peggy Phelan.
和佩吉·费伦。
best-selling authors,
that later became my art bible.
后来成为了我的艺术指导。
permission to believe
给了我信心让我相信
my stories could be part of the world.
会被世界上的人所知晓。
could be more important than my boobs.
through the mainstream
在主流文学中
water cut the Grand Canyon.
over-50-year-old women writers.
快把我乐疯了。
killed me with joy
打开过这样美好的一扇门。
会胎死腹中的事。
in New York I wanted to die there.
我希望就死在那里。
I'm good. This is beautiful."
我要葬在这美好之中。”
will understand what happened next.
屋子里的一些人会理解。
of Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
法勒,斯特劳斯和吉鲁的办公室。
was like my mega-dream press.
是我的终极梦想出版社。
were published there.
的小说都在那里出版。
and talked to me for a long time,
like a numb idiot,
不住地微笑和点头,
came out of my throat.
on the shoulder
to the offices of W.W. Norton,
W.W.诺顿的办公室,
I'd be escorted from the building
and touching the moon
across the cosmos.
在无尽的宇宙中编织着我的名字。
a deal it was to me.
with these beady, bright, fierce eyes
闪烁着有神,明亮,犀利的目光
something then, immediately!"
你的一些作品,马上!”
especially TED people,
and licking a stamp.
at the National Poetry Club.
做了一场读书会。
Hoyt & Picard Literary Agency,
和霍伊特与皮卡德文学社的人
like, on the spot.
were dressed so beautifully,
that small, sad stone in my throat ...
我仍然如鲠在喉
about people like me.
像我这样的人的感受。
how to hope or say yes
怎样期待和回答
就会有的耻辱。
就会有的耻辱。
we deserve to be in the room
我们应该和那些我们敬仰的人
and I'd coach myself.
我要像那些
over-50-year-old women who helped me.
告诫自己。
You belong in the room, too."
就是你!你应该在这个屋子里。”
and rain come back into view,
of airplane "feel sorry for yourself."
I was some kind of misfit writer.
我也只是一个格格不入的作家。
没有签下一个书约,
and heart-ful of memories
I allowed myself.
who tries to get you to shut up
试图让你闭嘴的人
only you know how to tell."
才知道的感受。”
the woman over 50.
I've had to reinvent a self
人生选择的废墟中
were really just weird-ass portals
我的失败如何奇迹般地
was give voice to the story.
about following your dreams.
to reinvent yourself
or your job or your husband
工作甚至另一半,
in the middle of your failure
and phenomenal misfit,
是独一无二的,
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Lidia Yuknavitch - AuthorIn her acclaimed novels and memoir, author Lidia Yuknavitch navigates the intersection of tragedy and violence to draw new roadmaps for self-discovery.
Why you should listen
Writer Lidia Yuknavitch discovered her calling after an interrupted journey as a would-be Olympic swimmer. Her prose erases the boundaries between memoir and fiction, explodes gender binaries and focuses on the visceral minutiae of the body.
She was inspired by Ken Kesey (with whom she collaborated on a collective novel project at Oregon University); her latest book, The Small Backs of Children, stands as a fictional counterpoint to her memoir The Chronology of Water, which has garnered her a cult following for its honesty and intensity.
Lidia Yuknavitch | Speaker | TED.com